Eddy Merckx Paint Scheme

MiffwS17

Retro Newbie
I have recently bought this E.M. frame, but I have never seen this paint scheme before and paid very little for it so slightly worried, does anyone have any comments or thoughts about it is it original or team bike etc?

I am very new to the whole retro bike world so be gentle if it is bad news.

The forks are naff but and I am looking out for some so if anyone has any and wants to sell let me know.

Cheers Matt

Attachments

• DSC_2914 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2914 - Copy.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_2917 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2917 - Copy.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_2916 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2916 - Copy.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_2918 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2918 - Copy.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_2920 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2920 - Copy.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_2921 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2921 - Copy.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_2922 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_2922 - Copy.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 471
There's a couple of pairs of 700C NOS Merckx forks on Brick Lane Bikes www under vintage components. Deep pockets needed though!

Nice looking bike BTW.

Hi mate
I haven't seen those colours before but judging by scheme and the decals it looks like a standard, original paint job. Usually they have a small sticker saying 'original paint' or similar. The factory used to do reasonably priced resprays in any Merckx scheme up until they closed just recently. The forks are as you realise non standard.
If it fits and was a good price then well done, just ride and enjoy :)

Jamie

In SLX tubing it's unlikely to be an actual Telecom team bike, but it is the Telecom colour scheme, which IIRC you could buy at the time (as with the US Postal one) for no extra cost.

On eBay currently there are 2 7-11 team colour SLXs and a Telecom very similar to this (bar the carbon HS spacers) . I would refer to those and see if they go at the current prices (which seem generally high for SLX framed bikes).

matthew71":13crbi0x said:
i always thought the telekom bike was more black and pink?

It is not pink, it is lavender ;)

Also, sorry if I implied that I thought it was actually ridden by the team. It is just the paint scheme, I have no idea how to tell if it was an actual team bike. I worked in a bike shop during those years and sold a few of those frames. They ride really well.

Don't think this is the Telekom colour scheme which was Pink,Lavender and Black.

Unless the photo colours are wayout this bike looks to be Red,Grey and Black.

I've seen between 10 -15 different variations of this Merckx paint pattern which was used 1990-1995ish

Back