All things Orbit

bren":2suqyrbf said:
:?
Could it just be paint damage?
Head tube joins brazed or what?
May get lucky and if you don't mind sacrificing the paint, some localised heat from a gas welding torch and some flux may get the crack filled without too much fuss. But obviously then you need a repaint.

Saying that, the damage was done a few years ago and nothing too worrying has happened since.

It's not been ridden for the last 10 or so years though. Having said that I have just scraped off some of the paint and there is no crack in the weld...pheww. Having said that I reckon the crash could well have been the cause but there is no signs of any ripples or anything on either the top tube or down tube so I'm hoping it will all be ok.

Any updates Raidan? :LOL:

Here is my Orbit 531 again for a bit of inspiration:
1CVBph.jpg

was8v":1z63y8oh said:
I think they were originally Sheffield based, then the Midlands in the '90s, and now Sheffield again.

They started in September 1982 at Peartree Industrial estate, Dudley, West Midlands. I was one of the original directors. At our peak we employed 22 people, building all our own frames all in 531 and mainly touring bikes destined for the states. The multiple changes of ownership over the years would fill a book. I left in September 1987.

Featch":37250z2u said:
was8v":37250z2u said:
I think they were originally Sheffield based, then the Midlands in the '90s, and now Sheffield again.

They started in September 1982 at Peartree Industrial estate, Dudley, West Midlands. I was one of the original directors. At our peak we employed 22 people, building all our own frames all in 531 and mainly touring bikes destined for the states. The multiple changes of ownership over the years would fill a book. I left in September 1987.

:D great to hear from an original director!

Do you think what you say about the Zinn "unfinished" fillets here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1556485 also applies to Raidan73's and my frame?

http://i.imgur.com/nKndeh.jpg

Already posted this up in the British Steel thread earlier but here it is again.

Unfortunately a couple of new purchases have pushed this down the pecking order in an already long queue. I may have to sell it to fund other things but will see how things go.

Raw fillet brazed 531 with polished Tioga T-bone stem, bars and seatpost. Pace RC30's with some nice blue decals courtesy of Gil

dscf4785c.jpg

dscf4790s.jpg

dscf4788g.jpg

dscf4787k.jpg

I bought one near the end of the '80's I got it custom painted straight from the factory it was built using 531 I'll need to scan a couple of pics for yous ;)

Re:

Featch":bj2u8pve said:
was8v":bj2u8pve said:

- Featch

I've got a Sirius branded 531 - exactly the same as the Orbit (dropped top tube frame design etc).

I heard/read that Sirius 'became' Orbit (Orbit took over Sirius?). Can you give me more details on this?

Back