Wanted some direction for my journey into retro world

Can't see any reason why someone wouldn't prefer cash on collection unless they're worried you aren't coming (odd if you've been in touch to organise it) or they have something to hide :? Would make me very cautious...

if the listing states cash on collection or collection only, beware if the seller wants paypal before you collect, paypal as no protection on items collected as they will say you would have had the oppertunity to inspect the bike before paying therfore you would only pay if you were happy with the bike, and you will find it impossible to get your money refunded, its also possible the seller can say you have collected the bike when in fact you havent, this is also paypals rules on buying cars as they cannot be posted you wil inspect the car before paying so any payment, deposit through paypal is at your own risk. read the link bellow before you send a penny

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Do-Not-Accept ... 0004503860

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for that. The seller listed as Collection In Person Only. Payment was originally stated as Postal Order, Bankers Draft, PayPal, Credit Card accepted, Personal Cheque. In my eBay profile it only states PayPal, Postal Order/Bankers Draft. Does this mean the listing had been changed since i bought it or is there some other reason?

A workmate stated that it's possible to request another eBay member's contact details. I've put in a request so hopefully i will get a contact number for him to try to resolve this. I'm curious as to why he's so dead-set on PayPal when i can give him the cold hard cash with no handling fees.

I'm finally going to let the cat out of the bag too as the suspense is killing me. It is a Year 2000 Raleigh DHO (no not the one that was on here with a single crown fork - but that was nice too). It's quite tasty in that it still has all of its stickers on and the paint isn't too bad. The only real downer is a dent in the top-tube from a set of triple clamp forks but hopefully a trip to our local frame builder would see that right or a suitable repair to strenghten the area. So any Raleigh fans amongst you can see why i want this to work out...

Mark

you cant change an ebay listing once the item as sold or a bid as been placed, you can only ad to the discription in a seperate box.,,,,you can ask ebay for the sellers details and they will send them to you via email but they will also send your details to the sellers email ady at the same time.
best thing to do is send the seller a polite email with the link i provided above and explain you have no protection from paypal on paying his way but you do want the bike and will pay cash as long as the bike is in condition described, if he still insist on paypal before you see the bike then walk away

ibbz
no that was the other one with single crown forks from off here wasn't it? I'd missed that one! The one I went for has triple clamps and went for £600. Probably overpriced but what the heck...

painter09
thanks for the link. I do intend mailing him the link in eBay. I've also got a contact number for him off eBay too so i'll attempt to give him a shout to see if we can arrange a mutually convenient pick up time and cash payment. (keeps fingers crossed).

Anyone keeping up with this one... well i think it might be a scam!

I've not paid anything so all is well. I'm just a little gutted. Check out the link to see a reasonable condition year 2000 DHO. Shame about the top-tube dent but i would have taken her to the local frame builder for a check-up and possible repair. I'm going to contact eBay in the week to see if i can get my buy now revoked due to the seller not communicating and requesting a possibly iffy payment method (PayPal Gift). I'm not definately saying the seller is a scammer as i don't want to put muself into a legal position, but it just feels a little awkward.

link...

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/alexeo23/album/DHO/

If anyone on here knows the guy, please PM me with a contact number so that i can hopefully get a resolution. I do want the bike but not the hassle.

Cheers folks

Mark

start cheap and work your way up if you want but never forget it's only two wheels so try not to go bankrupt

perfectly good commonsense that none of us seem to have been able to listen too ourselves

Directions? Turn and run as far and as fast as you can. Don't look back. Or, embrace it and abandon all hope, yee who enter here.

They accumulate. If you tarry long enough, you may become emotionally attached to them. Eventually they become houseguests.

voodoo-kid":3il0abjz said:
That Barrie Clark Raleigh would be ace but i doubt i could afford it. I used to have a 1997 MTrax 400 Ti back in the day. They ride really nicely, albeit with a relativly short top-tube. Unfortunately I cracked my one at the head-tube welds . Raleigh warranty was brilliant though.

I had an M-Trax 450 Elite Titanium that I tore the head tube off and Raleigh categorically refused to replace the frame despite me presenting them with an independant metallurgists report on the failure of the welds!

It ended up being taken to the metal scrappies :cry:

Latest posts

Back