Help id'ing this Orange

They don't all have a straight re-enforcement collor, some ar like yours.
It's not 1993, try looking (google image search) at late 1992 Orange Clockworks as I think the prestige had solid dropouts by this point, the clockwork still had that style rear cable hanger... any earlier and it would have been a downtube front mech.
I assume it has the wheel or wheel bolt hole for top pull front mech ?

That's another thing that puzzled me - no bottom pulley hole - so top pull only.

Why do they make these things so complicated :?

Does it have a chain stay bridge?

The geometry of the seat stay (lower down the seat tube) and drop outs make it look like an earlier one (pre 1991).

Top tube cable routing could be an experiment, one off or later addition?

Here's some pics of my 'prototype'

It has no cable guide above the BB shell - it is routed conventionally under the BB shell. Similar to yours around the top of the seat tube and drop outs although mine has eyelets.

Mine has no frame number either.

Attachments

• DSC_0364.jpg
    DSC_0364.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0362.jpg
    DSC_0362.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0361.jpg
    DSC_0361.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0359.jpg
    DSC_0359.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 282
Chainstay bridge - yes.

No bottle cage bosses on seat tube.

No cable route under BB, top-pull front mech, and rear mech cable via seat stay.

They certainly didn't make it easy did they! I doubt if I'll get to the bottom of this, and if i don't I'll just call it a Prestige ;)

can you weigh it.
do all the stops look original and no chop marks where the above bottom bracket guide would have been.

good fun.

nevadasmith":drbng2tc said:
Here's some pics of my 'prototype'

It has no cable guide above the BB shell - it is routed conventionally under the BB shell. Similar to yours around the top of the seat tube and drop outs although mine has eyelets.

Mine has no frame number either.

Yours does have a frame number Adrian, it's on the bottom of the seat tube ;)

As for Gerry's... Like has been said, the frame geometry points towards a 1989/90 bike. Problem is with the cable routing as no Clockwork had guides like that. Maybe some one has welded some new ones on at some point?

brocklanders023":2x3swiph said:
As for Gerry's... Like has been said, the frame geometry points towards a 1989/90 bike. Problem is with the cable routing as no Clockwork had guides like that. Maybe some one has welded some new ones on at some point?
Yes, I think this is from about 1989 and the top tube cable stops have been added at some later point when it was repainted.

I don't think top-pull front mechs were made before c1992, and even when top tube routing was first introduced there would generally be a seat tube pulley so that you could still fit a down-pull mech, as they were so much more common.

Back