Help id'ing this Orange

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked this frame up at a car boot sale yesterday for a fiver. It says Orange on the frame and certainly looks like an Orange, but can anyone help with a model name and year.

No damage to the frame but the seatpost is going to be a bit of a bugger to get out and I'm trying to work out if it's worth spending £35 to get it powder-coated. The chainset is Deore LX but dont know if it's original kit.

Where is the frame number on these bikes?

Attachments

• IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 722
Frame number under the BB shell? It'll start A*, the first number denoting model year, i.e. A2 = 1992, the next two numbers are the month.

The lack of rack mounts on the drop-outs makes me think Prestige, the decal and top-routed cables suggests 1992. Does it have a metal cable guide just above the BB shell?

The seatpost will be easy as you can warm the frame up without worrying about the paint!

SP

No number on the BB frame at all, nor anywhere else I can see. Possibly it's been stolen at sometime and filed off?

No cable guides on BB shell, all cables go via rear top tube cable guides.

Uh-oh. Good job it was cheap. Take a look at the 1992-3 catalogues here and you'll see the features I pointed out. The cable routing does look 1993 vintage, but with the older graphics style.

SP

gerryattrick":28fttv3v said:
No number on the BB frame at all, nor anywhere else I can see. Possibly it's been stolen at sometime and filed off?

No cable guides on BB shell, all cables go via rear top tube cable guides.

Join the club :LOL:

OrangeJase":21ivdlnn said:
The frame number on my prestige is on the seat tube not the bb shell and it is tricky to read

Thanks. I'll look tomorrow in the daylight. Whereabouts on tube?

Edit: Couldn't wait so just got it in and checked. No sign of frame number on seat tube or any other tube

mines on the left side of the seat tube (as you sit on the bike)about two thirds of the way down written lengthways down the tube,took me ages to find mine

Still no sign of the missing frame number! Does this make it worth a fortune like unperforated stamps? ;)

I've just noticed that all the pics of early Oranges have a straight 90 degree cut lug at top of seat tube. Mine has a shaped lug. Does this help identify it at all?

Attachments

• IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 649
Back