How many mtb's are used on the rd

Are ther any good (light,puncture proof) semi slicks available?

I haven't found any so end up on me road bike,which is loads faster than the mtb,but not as good in other ways.

I only ride MTB, as I can't get on with the riding position of road bikes. I often ride on the road with semi slicks for training purposes.

I bought a Giant Mountain bike which cost a fair few quid , in the 3 years i owned it i NEVER used it off road :oops:

So bought a Classic Raleigh racer which i use purely (obviously) just for the road when its just me, and i also bought a 80's Kalahari which i fitted semi slick continental tyres, have converted to a 7 speed, just kept the one brake for when i pootle along the towpaths with the 'kids'.

Does anyone else run just the rear brake ??

I suppose i could have just bought a hybrid :D

careful now":1b9g8lo4 said:
The one with knobbles on the side is 690g,that's no good,I want 400g max,with knobbly edges,for my pleasure.

Reckon you'll struggle to find a puncture proof semi at that weight, could be wrong though. Can't be arsed with all that weight weenie bollocks personally ;)

Does anyone else run just the rear brake ??

I've always had both brakes, but if I had to have only have one brake, I'd have the front one.

The one with knobbles on the side is 690g,that's no good,I want 400g max,with knobbly edges,for my pleasure.

I have a set of Schwalbe Hurricanes on one of my bikes, the 690g tyres you referred to, and they are pretty good on the road and fine off road unless it's really muddy. I had some lighter tyres that were about 400g and I seemed to get a puncture pretty much every other ride - I soon got fed up with them.

I have slicks on my '91 Funk for road riding, although I usually take my full sus on road trips these days as I like the comfort and the disc brakes much more...

Attachments

• Funk.jpg
    Funk.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 135
Loving that Funk Pat.

I used to ride MTBs with totally slick large volume tyres, pumped as hard as possible, back in my courier daze, (it was the fashion back then I think). Had to watch for all the diesel the buses used to spill.

Whatever you ride is defined by where you ride it, rather than its original design intent.

I used to ride cross country on a racer back in the 70s.

Most traditional diamond frame MTBs can be made to work well for roadwork, practically indistinguishable from touring bikes when kitted out.

Back