Raleigh Eclipse, because I really needed another bike

BobToo

Retro Guru
I've been keen to try a bigger frame because I feel I'm on the limit with the 22.5" bikes I have so I couldn't resist bidding on this fairly local 1980s Raleigh Eclipse.

From the description and the seemingly selective photos (it turned out that the seller didn't realise people might want to see the drive side) I was expecting some horrors to have to deal with but the only thing wrong was a flat tyre on the front, and the seller gave me a brand new tube for that. The only other issue is that it doesn't change onto the big ring very well but I'm sure a tweak to the stop screws will sort that.

DSC_2120.jpg

DSC_2127.jpg

DSC_2126.jpg

DSC_2123.jpg

It needs a damn good clean and a service but it all looks pretty good under the grime. I do have a few questions though...

Every other Eclipse I've seen pictures of has stripes on it but the seller, who had it from new, says this one didn't. Does the lack of stripes date it?

It has band-on Shimano 600 shifters but it also has brazed on bosses. What shifters should it have and can I fit indexed shifters? The front mech says SiS but the back one doesn't.

It has had aero brake levers fitted, which I'm not sure I like. If I decide to fit original spec or at least period correct levers what kind should they be?

The plan for this is to give it a once-over and either use it as my fair weather bike or fit mudguards to make it my "daily".

I've got one exactly the same, they are a very cool and underated model. Mine is silky silky smooth and scarily silent!

As standard it should have shimano 6-speed index shifters, shimano SL-S434 (silver coloured) light action. I think they are from the exage group.

H lloyd cycles sells NOS decal set for the raleigh eclipse for £18.

I found the thread about your bike when I was looking for information about the Eclipse. If I can get mine looking anywhere near as good as yours I'll be delighted.

What did you use to clean up the paintwork on your one? I had a go with T-Cut last night but it didn't seem to be doing much- although that might be because the T-Cut is more than a decade old.

I saw this posted on the Autoshite thread. I've got an Equipe from a similar era and it looks like it's basically the same bike but in gas pipe instead of 501. It's interesting spotting where they put the better bits on and then cut corners. Either way it should ride nicely - I really like the geometry on mine.

Try some fresh colour restorer, water down some thinners, and rub very hard!

The original decal set is very impressive quality, and transformed mine. I can give you measurements of positioning if you buy some, mine had the original stickers on so i could put the new ones in exactly the right positions.

I was impressed with the spec of the eclipse, although only one model higher than my old kelloggs (that i've had from new) it has nicer bars, wheels, chainset, seatpost, mechs and shifters. It does run sweet with the modern alvio rear mech compared to old style.

I've just got a 1982 competion 25" (full 531) to do up aswell. It only weighs 8.8kg (minus tyres, tubes, & pedals) so i'm quite excited atm!

Thanks for the offer of the measurements, I'll certainly give you a shout when I get round to buying some decals.

I took it out for a 12 mile ride last night and nothing fell off. At first I thought there was a serious problem with the chain but it was just the crank hitting the bottle cage. It did indeed ride nicely, though it wasn't as comfortable as I'd hoped. It would have helped if I'd made any adjustments to the bars and seat I suppose.

The aero brake levers will be getting binned as a matter of urgency, I would have lived with the look but I don't like feeling the cables under the bar tape. The gears aren't as nice to use as the Suntour set-up on my other two bikes, I'm hoping they will be better with a bit of fettling and more suitable shifters.

Overall I'm happy with it though, and it shouldn't be hard to turn it into money if I don't get along with it once it's done up.

With padded tapes i dont feel the concealed cables.

The 531 competition i just got felt pretty awful until i'd renewed the cassette, chain & cables, and adjusted the seat/bars. Now it feels awesome! I was a bit worried at first thinking i wouldnt get on with it being a 25" frame.

As it was raining yesterday I made a start on sorting out the Eclipse. I've taken everything off the frame and will do cleaning over the next few weeks. The only new bits it should need are shifters, brake levers and bar tape, I think everything else will scrub up ok. Once it's cleaned and fettled I can decide whether it's the bike for me, and if it's not at least it will be nice and clean for sale.

It sat in my shed in bits from that day to this, exactly six months. My son is moving to Edinburgh for college next week and it occurred to me that this would be a better commuter than his Phillips Phantom, so I decided to put it back together.

I had already serviced the wheel bearings, which just left the bottom bracket and headset. The bottom bracket in particular was horrible, no wonder it was such hard work on its one outing. I cleaned the mankiest bits as I went along, and fitted a pair of Suntour Accushift shifters (in friction mode) to the braze-ons to replace the band-ons that it previously had. It scrubbed up quite nicely, though the bar tape and vile aero levers really do let it down- not my problem any more though.

JIWvDHNl.jpg

We decided to change the pedals because toeclips can be a bit of a liability in the town, and the originals were needing stripped down and greased so it saved me a job today. I can't believe how much better it rides after a service and some fettling, it flies along and it's really smooth. I'm regretting giving it away a bit, but I could never grow to love the bling on it so I think I'll look out for a less showy Raleigh of similar vintage.

Back