alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on page 3

Re: alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991

Bloody hell, that looks fantastic!
Hoping to do my first frame this year, rattle cans most likely. Done many an alloy wheel, but never a bicycle.
How many coats of colour & clear did you do, and how far did you go flatting back between coats?

I will write a basic guide later as I've been asked a few times. I'm no expert but hopefully people that are will chip in. I'll put the link in my signature when it's done.

To quote Alan Partridge, "that really is first class''

Fantastic work so far!

34646827.jpg

Thanks for the comments :)

Just wondering if purple will suit this.
What do you think?

1360530081306.jpg

shogun":yarp69n1 said:

+1,

I think it would be rude to deny those inner voices
in your head that are saying "go on you know you want to" :D

Exercise those demons, and release the 3dv

Lovely paint job! :D

I would not use too much purple in ordner not to distract from the awesome frame! In addition, the build could become to "nervous". But try it out. I would prefer it without purple stuff except for some Details such aus skewers or a H20.

Have you got a DX Gruppo in mint/NOS sorted? As "DX" is contained in the name of the model you shouldn't use anything else. :D

I don't really like the function of the push-push Rapidfire shifters. If you do use them, make sure to take the ST-M071 (2-finger version). 4finger levers look awkward... I would take thumbshifters or ST-M075 Rapidfire Plus (not period correct, but nice in terms of function; more or less the same as XTR ST-M900, only 7speed).

Just out of interest: have you weighed fork and frames?

Rahbari":vfk71phn said:
Lovely paint job! :D

I would not use too much purple in ordner not to distract from the awesome frame! In addition, the build could become to "nervous". But try it out. I would prefer it without purple stuff except for some Details such aus skewers or a H20.

Have you got a DX Gruppo in mint/NOS sorted? As "DX" is contained in the name of the model you shouldn't use anything else. :D

I don't really like the function of the push-push Rapidfire shifters. If you do use them, make sure to take the ST-M071 (2-finger version). 4finger levers look awkward... I would take thumbshifters or ST-M075 Rapidfire Plus (not period correct, but nice in terms of function; more or less the same as XTR ST-M900, only 7speed).

Just out of interest: have you weighed fork and frames?

Yep, what he already said. Let the frame be colourful :cool:
Hopefully you will use a full dx group. I would use thumbies and 2-finger brakes :D

I have the origional DX group from it, it's in ok condition rather than NOS! Hopefully it'll look better when it has been cleaned / polished.
I remember the DX trigger shifters being awful, so I might put some Suntour Thumbies on it, I would need to buy some new brake levers though.

I made up the stem logo on the computer yesterday, just need to print it on water slide paper and lacquer over it.

1360757688462.jpg

Back