alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on page 3

Re: alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991

Flourescent yellow on the frame with white area masked.

1360384365877.jpg

Forks lacquered with Auto Clear 2k 496 then decals applied then lacquered again. Don't know why I did it this way.
Edges of the flourescent yellow on frame sanded to remove line, then yellow masked off and final ground coat applied. Left to dry while I went to get a McDonald's. Then pearlescent basecoat applied.

1360384643691.jpg

Decals fitted, waiting for lacquer.

1360384672511.jpg

1360386158657.jpg

Looks really good really impressed with your paint job. How hard wearing is the finish?

That looks great. It's amazing how good a finish you can do with cans if you prep' right and take a bit of care. Have you got the parts to finish it?

Did you here that sound? That was my jaw.. it felt down on the table.

Nice work done here! I really like the paintjob and the rebuild. Following with interest!

Cheers,
Will

I've done some work with cans and if you buy one of those little handle gizmo's with the trigger, it's amazing how much more control you have and what a good job you can build up with a few coats.
The main thing after, is to leave the frame somewhere warm, for a week or two, to allow the paint to fully cure (I hang mine over our Aga :p ) The paint on this looks as good as new, well done fella. :mrgreen:

Wold Ranger":19s9cenq said:
I've done some work with cans and if you buy one of those little handle gizmo's with the trigger, it's amazing how much more control you have and what a good job you can build up with a few coats.
The main thing after, is to leave the frame somewhere warm, for a week or two, to allow the paint to fully cure (I hang mine over our Aga :p ) The paint on this looks as good as new, well done fella. :mrgreen:
Thanks, I've a frame that I can't justify the cost of a professional respray but being a bit of a perfectionist am in two minds about a can respray if though I can get a good finish and it can be hard wearing enough may consider giving it a go.

Answers to questions:

No idea how hard wearing it will be, not as good as a professional one though.
I have all the original parts, except the seatpost (cut too short). Based on how well the frame came out I think I need to start polishing the origional parts!
I'm riding it next weekend Wold, I can't leave it to dry for too long!

Grockel":310u39ef said:
Thanks, I've a frame that I can't justify the cost of a professional respray but being a bit of a perfectionist am in two minds about a can respray if though I can get a good finish and it can be hard wearing enough may consider giving it a go.

I think it cost me £81 for the paint, £14 for wet & dry (not used a fraction of it though). Decals were extra. The frame was already stripped so I didn't need any paint stripper. The forks were only rubbed down from existing paint and haven't come out as well as the frame.
I used a fan heater to warm the frame up before painting, between coats and when drying. Other wise at this time of year I think it's too cold and the lacquer can go cold, I've been told that it makes the paint dry harder too.
I think it works out better to pay someone to do it!
If you use decent aerosols from a paint shop rather than Halfords you get a much better finish. The paint and lacquer could really be put on a lot thicker to get a decent finish. Halfords lacquer is hard to get right. They sell safe stuff that the public can use, if you use a decent mask and face shield you can get a much better finish with decent paint.

In all honesty, the paint is good but it's Gil's decals that make it.
I finished it at work at 6am (finished at 11pm) 12 hours later it's still marking from touch!

I'll post some pictures of it with the lacquer on when it's dry.

1360431079850.jpg

Latest posts

Back