BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil":2w3l7aw9 said:
For me, personally - special credit will be given to build threads, showing some labour of love, and some underlying OCD, rather than lots of cash spent on a load of NOS parts fresh out of packages.

Dammit, I want to see obsession about ferules, polishing jockey wheel bushings, the extra screws, nuts, or washers that are always inexplicably left over.

And most importantly, I want to see some evidence of the psychological damage that ensued from the obsession of getting it done, that it wasn't just all done by spreadsheet and project plan, but that some actual life expectency was reduced, some grey hair gained, and that there's some nagging, irritation about something that wasn't quite perfect.

I can handle the truth.

Make it so.

Agree! But how to capture it in 2 pics?!? :roll:

stumpjumper1990":p1f3ycmy said:
Neil":p1f3ycmy said:
For me, personally - special credit will be given to build threads, showing some labour of love, and some underlying OCD, rather than lots of cash spent on a load of NOS parts fresh out of packages.

Dammit, I want to see obsession about ferules, polishing jockey wheel bushings, the extra screws, nuts, or washers that are always inexplicably left over.

And most importantly, I want to see some evidence of the psychological damage that ensued from the obsession of getting it done, that it wasn't just all done by spreadsheet and project plan, but that some actual life expectency was reduced, some grey hair gained, and that there's some nagging, irritation about something that wasn't quite perfect.

I can handle the truth.

Make it so.

Agree! But how to capture it in 2 pics?!? :roll:
Um just check out the bit I highlighted in bold...

I wish I had some better photos but I think this bike fits this months category pretty well. 5 months worth of work included cold setting the frame, brazing on chainstay and seatstay braces, brazing on a disk brake mount and cable guides. Turning down a 1 1/8 headset to fit a pre-war headtube. Reinforcing the dropouts and the welds around the bottom bracket and acid etching a custom headbadge and making the seatpost from aluminum rod stock. So far I have been riding it for just over a week and I am absolutely in love with it even though it put me in urgent care twice before I even rode it. So here it is, my 1936 Elgin.
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=229476
Start:
IMG_8001_zpsbe1902cd.jpg

Finish:
IMG_8584_zps4900f951.jpg

Nevada's orange forumula is a good example of restoration..a pig with tubes needed to be replaced to the minter is now

It's a pity (or possibly a blessing for everyone else, given the two that spring to mind?) that bikes from previous themes cannot be re-entered...

We_are_Stevo":2fqkpy8a said:
It's a pity (or possibly a blessing for everyone else, given the two that spring to mind?) that bikes from previous themes cannot be re-entered...

Would one of them be WD Pros Marin?

Reading Neils post got me thinking of that one again. :D

We_are_Stevo":39os2m4c said:

that's a good point actually, i entered my muddy fox into the 'no shimano' botm a while ago, does that mean i have to pull my entry?

jonnyboy666":1yvq6m8h said:
We_are_Stevo":1yvq6m8h said:

that's a good point actually, i entered my muddy fox into the 'no shimano' botm a while ago, does that mean i have to pull my entry?

Special Month - Anything can be entered apart from previous BotM Winners
(unless the 2013/forum upgrade rules have changed)

Although it appears not - Rule #12
and rule #15 no longer applies
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/BoTM_Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back