Simplest replacement for rear shock on '99 FSR

Thanks Osella! Useful advice.

I'm kind of stuck with the RS SID dual air because I've blown my budget on the new linkage!
The chap I bought it off on here was the only one to answer my post in the Wanted 98+ section. He was convinced it should fit my frame but I just couldnt see how. I thought it might be something odd with my original linkage - so I thought I may as well upgrade it and then at least I can get whatever shock I like in the future.
I fancy one with lockout though so I might be swapping it sooner rather than later...

It is the Specialized shark fin by the way. Apparently they are hard to come by nowadays?

No probs - just one of the learning experiences I've gone through!!
I just 'upgraded' to a Max Backbone FSR, which are also a bit more uncommon, though same linkages etc.. Looks to me like it's the adjuster on the SID that stops it fitting. There is a possibility with the clearances that it may be that some of the larger frames will fit certain shocks, but some of the smaller ones are too tight on tolerance!

I've just changed out my BETD linkage back to the original on the Max FSR as the BETD linkage gave too much ramping on the air shock, and raised the BB higher than the axles and slung back the head angle so far I couldn't get the bars low enough. Fine for DH, but not much good for all-round! ;) I also realised I have got my shock in the Max frame the 'right way' round - by filing down the valve cap!.. It wouldn't fit by amout 1mm.. :facepalm:

Sharkfins are ridiculously hard to find these days!! Even the Onza adapters have gone out of stock at the moment... I'm considering making my own if I can find the Alu!

The BETD linkage has 3 different travel options on it (4, 5 or 6").
Im leaving it on 4".
Do you think I will see much of a difference?

A lot of this is new to me so I'm not really sure what to expect.
I actually need to go google "ramping"! :)

What is the difference between the MaxBackbone and the FSR that I have?

valve bouncer":3lrbyrdh said:
stumpjumper1990":3lrbyrdh said:
Let's make it more difficult for you.... I have a NOS Rock Shox Deluxe for sale.... ;)
Link? Searched the for sale sections but couldn't see it.

That's right! haven't posted it yet.....
If you have interest in it, drop me a PM...

Finally! After upgrading the group set and having fun getting a new BETD linkage and shock - I got to take it out today and I love it! :D
Had a fair bit to learn when it came to the link & shock seeing as all I've ever done before was lube the chain and basic adjustments. The peeps on this forum were a massive help :thumbs up:
I regret not going for a single up front though. Instead, for some reason I decided to go for bigger rings :facepalm:
Next bits will be 120mm forks, headset, stem, etc. Need to get saving... again.

20130217-DSC01138.jpg by ZeeSaffa, on Flickr

20130217-DSC01134.jpg by ZeeSaffa, on Flickr

that is a mighty fine example sir!
i'm just about to rebuild mine with a more period-ish groupset and some magura rim brakes :) can't wait to get it all set up a bouncing around!

Thanks Twain!
I've just been looking through your '99 Elite FSR build thread... very nice! That's not the one you're rebuilding is it?

Back