Can you understand Shakespeare without education?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I studied English as an A' Level and until then did not understand it. I did A'Level and watched Othello and cried my eyes out, well I'm of women flesh what do you expect! My husband being the son of the head of English at a secondary school, I must point out that my farther in law is very highly intelligent but useless at domestic chores. He and my hubby think you can be rehearsed in Shakespeare before the play and understand it yet I think you need lots of education before.

What is your thoughts.

Alison

highlandsflyer":okb2k9ig said:
My thoughts iz old Shakey is over rated! :)

Nooo!! when I remember understanding it it was awesome, I've just forgotten it now as this was 20 years ago. Maybe I should do it again

Alison

The language has changed with time, which is why some Shakespeare is difficult.

Don't forget that it was written as much for the masses at the time as it was for the educated classes.

They still speak like that in places like Tipton...........yeh me faver kim om tut see thee ad a mark upon thy big two wert a bee verily ad placed itself upon thee....

Spend some time there you'll soon understand Shaky

big two= big toe.

highlandsflyer":29sr5gzr said:
My thoughts iz old Shakey is over rated! :)

Depends on the interpretation. David Tennant did a superb version of Hamlet (set in the 1930s IIRC) on the BBC a few years ago. I'm not generally a big fan of the Bard, but this was genuinely good viewing.

David

The way it was taught in schools but pretty rubbish - but pottering through our English Dept the other day some of the work the students have done (cartoon strips, power points and websites) show they're really into it.

MacBeth's awesome..

Back