Show me your old frames with modern kit!

1994 Cinelli Unica with (mainly) 2012 Campagnolo Veloce, Campagnolo Khamsin wheels, Vittoria Rubino tyres, original 1990 Flite Titanium saddle, Cinelli XA stem, Deda 215 bars and Stella Azzura bar tape.

Since the photo's been taken I've changed the seatpost to a Miche Supertype alloy one as it looks nicer than the FSA carbon one.

This is probably going to be my ride for the Gospel Pass jolly in a few weeks time as its not sunny enough to bring my Peugeot out. :cool:

unica9.jpg

I think you've seen photo's of both of mine, although I must take an up to date picture of the Raleigh.

First bike is 1999 Raleigh 853 (same as the R700, but sold as a frameset), running ten speed Shimano, with new Stronglight chain rings on Shimano 600 Tricolor cranks. At one time I had Tricolor F&R mech, but the rear mech struggled, so both have since been replaced with ten speed Ultegra. Shifters are brand new Tiagra, as Ultegra ones cost a fortune and I couldn't find any s/h ones at the time (now there are loads). Wheels are Easton EA50's.

Second bike is 1989- ish Concorde Astore. Again ten speed. Currently with Shimano tricolor / Mavic Open hubs and rims, but they will be changed for something much lighter at some point, possibly 50mm carbon, as it look wonderful with them on. All the rest of the running gear is SRAM. Shifters are Rival, as they were more available and a more classic shape, although I missed two earlier pairs, with polished alloy levers. Everything else, including external GXP bottom bracket is SRAM Force, although I have just picked up a SRAM RED GXP BB (with Italian threads) which I will install before doing too many miles.

Pedals on both bikes are Speedplay Zero. Seat posts are both USE Alien. Saddles are San Marco.

The next road project has arrived today. It is of course steel, hand made and British. Just waiting for confirmation of maker and year. That will be built as light as possible and completely modern, with carbon wheels and as much SRAM RED as I can afford.

I love tasteful modern on retro, it is very much my thing :twisted:

My Ribble 653 road bike is here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=165136

Some retro content, derailleurs especially, but with a good smattering of modern bits too; I'd be lost without Ergopower controls and dual-pivot braking. Recently swapped the crankset for an all-black Stronglight Ironlight (with the FRM-esque cut-out spider) one.

David

Rod_Saetan":2s65dnb0 said:
I have been toying with this, a decent good quality steel frameset, quill stem, period saddle/bar/post/(looking) tyres and then 2013 105 - the only issue I have with almost every one of these I have seen is that modern chainsets are so damn ugly!
I had that same issue when building up my (admittedly quite new) LeMond last year. Shimano chainset designs are the pits right now, so I bought a 105 Black group sans cranks and found a used SRAM Rival chainset.
I also pared the Ksyrium wheel graphics down a lot too.

Ksyriums_DeStickered_2_LR.jpg

Seems to me the point of the OPs subject has been lost!

Due respect to the subsequent posters.

Roadking.

There are some very tasty machines here that put my clanky pair to shame.

The Lemond is very much my cup of tea, as is Tel's Gazelle.

Back