Marin Pine Mountain?

Thanks PopTrippin - You guys are the experts not me, which is exactly why I'm here...I'm still confused about Marin model codes and serial numbers, particularly with sequence changes over some years. For example model code 2 being used to identify a Team Marin, then used again for a Pine Mountain in a different year. Having seen the pictures of the gorgeous machine posted by Nader, I'm not entirely convinced that the frame I have is a Pine Mountain...But does that really matter?

From what I've read, both here and on other forums, some Marin models appear to share the same frame. However they were assembled with higher or lower grade components, thereby producing different models at different price points. Surely some twenty years later, none of this is actually that important. What is important is the quality of the frame and the ride. After all this time my bike still rides well and being steel, should have plenty of life left in it...Having ridden and owned an aluminium framed machine, steel is definitely my frame material of choice...Unless that is, someone has a titanium frame they wish to give away :)

There were differences in the Marin frames, however I believe some frames were shared across several models. I think the Pine Mountain and Eldridge Grade had the same frame, but in different colours and with different components.

The frames all looked very similar, same braze-ons and drop outs, but were made with different quality tube sets, for example in 1991:

Team Issue: Tange Prestige Concept
Team: Tange DB Oversise Prestige
Pine Mountain: Tange DB Oversise 4 MT
Eldridge Grade: Tange DB Oversise 4 MT
Bear Valley: Tange Double Butted CroMo

See Here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12560-2/1991.pdf

I have a 1990 Pine Mountain, with the thin rear stays, rather than the later, fatter "afterburner" stays. At about 5.5lbs it's not a particularly light for a steel frame, which can be under 4lbs, but it rides nicely and personally I don't think a pound or so either way makes much real world difference on a complete bike whereas overall handling and feel are instantly noticeable.

presumed it's resprayed is it? As the 87 Palisades was that colour near enough. And had black forks.

Augustus":1bhhzazj said:
presumed it's resprayed is it?
Yep, I bought it after the frame had been returned to bare metal and powder coated. I remember being told the bike was stock when purchased in the USA, so I guess the original frame finish was Zolatone...'Don't know about forks or stem, possibly an orangey/red colour - Does anyone know better?

Back