Official recommended or not paint-shop thread.

tiermat":2yv0oqeh said:
I thought I had previously posted in this thread, but I can see, from reading all 6 pages, that I haven't.

I had a 1959 Carlton Continental repainted last year by Dave Yates.

I aksed for some braze ons to be moved at the same time, and spent a good hour talking through other options with him once he had received and assessed the frame.

I wasn't cheap, it took 4 weeks to come back to me (if I remember correctly) but WOW! The paint finish is so lovely and deep, the colour rich and vibrant that the bike turns heads where ever it goes (and it's not even mine, it's my wife's!)

The cost for the painting alone was £145, but that was for a metallic. In my opinion, worth every penny, and I would use him again, if I needed a special bike painting.

Dave asks that the bikes are clean and grease free when you send them in (or he charges you for the cleaning) so that it doesn't contaminate the sand blast material.

My god he is expensive when it comes to repairs £285 for a strip and rebuild, £95 at York Cycleworks and I've always been pleased with the jobs done by the latter.

Alison

After some recent powdercoat success I can recommend http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/. They have done a great job on my forks and stem bright colour and nice and glossy too. When the finish wasn't right first time they have redone without question. Still waiting for the handlebars but if as good as the forks and stem it will be a top job! And the price for the forks, stem and handlebars?...£25! A bargain in my books!

Wook

Attachments

• 1991 Team Marin 2.jpg
    1991 Team Marin 2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 385
Negawsklov":32nx8cc3 said:
Can you 'pearl' powder coating?

Later this year, i will give you an answer on that as i'm looking for pearl white for a '91 cro-mega. :)

i've seen something as near as damn it. i will take some snaps as soon as i can.

*edit* LSN cannot. they do a white with a sparkle that gives a certain 3D effect but pearl is out.

Just an update on LSN coatings and their colour products.

pink do-able in flouro but, difficult and time consuming. 100% perfect not guaranteed either. can be flawed.

whilst in there i grabbed snap or two of their offerings.

sample suite, usually twice the size, currently having a move-around.

Photo0051_zps18a5d833.jpg

for those needing 'grello'. i do! later this year.

Photo0050_zps5e9cc87e.jpg

A random sparkle thing,light blue with violet underneath. awesome in real life in the sun! kinda 'shimmers'.

Photo0049_zpsd0ad49cf.jpg

discalaimer. I dont work there or have any business linkage either cash or kind, premium bonds or cornflake coupons. nor implied. :LOL:
I'm simply offering an in-sight for those looking to use their services.
there.
:cool:

tiermat":2uph1w58 said:
I thought I had previously posted in this thread, but I can see, from reading all 6 pages, that I haven't.

I had a 1959 Carlton Continental repainted last year by Dave Yates.

I aksed for some braze ons to be moved at the same time, and spent a good hour talking through other options with him once he had received and assessed the frame.

I wasn't cheap, it took 4 weeks to come back to me (if I remember correctly) but WOW! The paint finish is so lovely and deep, the colour rich and vibrant that the bike turns heads where ever it goes (and it's not even mine, it's my wife's!)

The cost for the painting alone was £145, but that was for a metallic. In my opinion, worth every penny, and I would use him again, if I needed a special bike painting.

Dave asks that the bikes are clean and grease free when you send them in (or he charges you for the cleaning) so that it doesn't contaminate the sand blast material.

Where's Dave based? I'll add him to the list when I know.

Looks like they've got loads of stock colours, far more then my fav's at Triple S. Interested to see the fade too. Wonder if they could do a 'Clockwork' job?

brocklanders023":2ds24l4x said:
Looks like they've got loads of stock colours, far more then my fav's at Triple S. Interested to see the fade too. Wonder if they could do a 'Clockwork' job?

Well I think I need a fade job for one of my other frames, so I'll talk to them about that when I take the Richter 8.0 frame in.

Hi guys.

That pic is just half of it :) where the main man sits cracking the whip, there is a shelving system loaded with fancy colours and finishes. if i was to turn around, more there too( just didn't think to) :facepalm:

brocklanders, see them about a clockwork fade. they do flouro orange and various whites. various blues too, if that's what you need. fading is easy for them. it's stop/start that is a problem, don't ask me why, a 'trade' thing they can explain. ;)

marc.

Fades are comparatively easy with powder becasue there is no edging or masking required.

Solid colour edges require masking, and you cant take the mask off before the powedr is baked, as it will lift the uncured powder, and you cant bake it first as the masking doesnt stand up to the temperature

There are ways/products that make it possible, but its expensive, difficult and time consuming in comparison, so not many places bother

G

Back