Show me your old frames with modern kit!

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone riding a classic frame with modern shifting and parts? How do you view such bikes? Best kept period or is it all good? As always pics would be a boon!

My daily ride is a 1993 Geoff Roberts, now fitted with 9 speed campag record/ chorus parts and modern Khamsin wheels. I prefer it to my modern Argon 18 Gallium, Happy to post pics over the weekend.

I have been toying with this, a decent good quality steel frameset, quill stem, period saddle/bar/post/(looking) tyres and then 2013 105 - the only issue I have with almost every one of these I have seen is that modern chainsets are so damn ugly!

Rod_Saetan":16xgttw7 said:
I have been toying with this, a decent good quality steel frameset, quill stem, period saddle/bar/post/(looking) tyres and then 2013 105 - the only issue I have with almost every one of these I have seen is that modern chainsets are so damn ugly!
The good news is that as long as you dont want to run 10 speed, you can get away with many older chainsets on fairly modern chains and gear mechs

Rod_Saetan":16qog49f said:

Pretty much what I had in mind, I wondered if an older chainset with newer rings would work, aesthetically as much as anything. Was also thinking of old hubs on low profile carbon rims with skinwall tubs. Basically, from a distance period looking but as you got closer you'd see the modern kit with the benefit of the weight,functionality and availability of the modern drivetrain.

i have played about with the spec on my cougar several times but i have settled with running veloce on it now.

so it's a 1995 frame with 2009 veloce (i think) on it, runs nice and is ridden most out of my 4 road bikes

P1020780 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

kaiser":2r56bwpp said:
Anyone riding a classic frame with modern shifting and parts? How do you view such bikes? Best kept period or is it all good? As always pics would be a boon!

Recently changed my mind about this, I've a Holdsworth Mistral (531 throughout in family from new, the Mistral is basically a Holdsworth Pro with mudguard clearance), but in need of a frame refurbishment. The plan is to modify the frame - keeping the original colour and decals - widen the rear end to take a modern freewheel/cassette (13-28 7 speed) and run it with a modern compact chainset (50/3:cool:, and modern shifting, brakes etc.

Even considering the SRAM WiFli (11/32) for the transmission - this might not be feasible though.

I'd previously been thinking of running it unmodified with a triple...it'll look great and give me an eminently useable bike with classic looks - ok I'll spend a decent amount of money (£250 + on the frame refurb alone).

What do you guys think?

Roadking.

P.S I'll happily post images once I've embarked on the project.

I have a number of bikes, old and new, that all run 10 speed blocks.

This is one of my favourites, only comes out in the sunny weather (so only got rode twice last year), and, sadly, is for sale...

DSC_0009.JPG

A Holdsworth Avanti, 60cm frame, there is has Alex rims on basic Shimano hubs,but now has full 6600 through out, including wheels.

Back