Just curious about children's mealtimes

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My children have friends who when they get home from school, will eat very soon after getting home and it will be chips, mini pizzas or breadcrumed chicken of some sort, peas or beans perhaps, you may know what I mean, then put their children to bed about seven and cook themselves something completely different, something more adult perhaps. Now this sounds to me like bloomin hard work, two sets of dinners=two sets of pots. Now being a lazy b4stard I cook one meal for about 7-7:30pm and we eat the same thing and the little blighters starve if they don't like it :D

Do you or your other half, find yourselves cooking two separate meals a day or are you an eat together the same foods kind of family?

Alison

Everyone eats the same. Apart from me, because I'm a vege. Eat about 6-6.30, in bed by 8.30.

We all try to eat at the same time, usually healthy but once a week do the chips etc meal.

Unfortunately with a 10 year old boy and an 8 year old girl mealtimes are usually quite a flashpoint :( So sometime myself and the Wife have our special meals later when the kids are in bed with a nice pudding.

And now my daughter ( a horse lover) saw the news about Horsemeat in burgers etc she steal some of my Veggie stuff :D

We all eat together, usually all cooked from scratch, although I am intrigued to see find out what horse meat tastes like! The whole family should be together at least once a day - I have 12yo and 15yo stepsons and a 21 month old son - we try and incorporate the wee man in as much as possible - certainly roasts on sundays etc, he loves it and it brings the family together. Cooking one lot of junk and another meal for parents would be hard work and bloody expensive too! We have pizzas but we make them from scratch, likewise burgers, chicken nuggets etc. People are lazy these days....

If you want an awesome pizza dough recipe, pm me!

Same here, one meal, from scratch eaten together. Of course there are the odd exceptions and when on lates I get to heat and eat on my own.

On the horse meat debate, I've said in another thread that the clip clop meat will only have improved the affected products.

Clownies every night. Eaten in the car.

endorse.gif

hello.gif
Only joking!
hello.gif

Wifey is an excellent cook and we usually have meat and veg. Lads are 10 and 3, they eat with us. 3 y/o bed at 8, 10 y/o bed @ 9-ish. He's about 7ft 93", swims 3 hrs a week and footy on a Monday night. Not stressing him with organic gruel and such.

Pizza maybe on a Friday, or a curry (not the 3 y/o).

All eat together at weekends but not weekdays. I'm lucky to get home by 7 most evenings and with kids going to bed at 7:30 it doesn't really leave enough time. Plus they get hungry around 5-5:30 so makes more sense for them to eat then. They're only 6 and 4 though so sure it'll change as they get older and stay up a bit later.

When my young ones get home from school they are invariably hungry so they tend to make themselves something, sandwich, cheese toasty or apple and cheese, carrot and cheese is my 8 year olds fav. I have at home an 8 yr old, a 10yr old and a 12yr old, when they were very young it was just fruit until dinner, my oldest is almost 20 and lives away from home most of the time so is learning the art of fending for himself.

Alison

7 and 3 yr olds here, usually eat together somewhere between 5 and 6, although some evenings have inconvenient swimming lessons/Brownies/whatevers so on those days kids eat first and we eat later. And occasionally we just fancy a "grown up" meal by ourselves. Being self-employed and working from home helps with the timing.

Back