Tyre widths - listed compared to actual

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

I am currently running a set of Tioga Psycho 2 tyres. They are listed as 2.1 but actually measure 2.3 at their widest point.

I am looking at replacing them with a set of Pananrace Fire XC Pros, which come in 2.1 or 2.4. Does anyone use these and can tell me what the real world width is like compared to what they (should) be?

Thanks

Ade

This is true, some tyres state 2 tyre widths on their sidewalls dependent on the width of the rims used. my WTB Velociraptors 2.1" have 2 widths in mm on the side wall, cant remember the sizes but its a significant difference in mm :roll:

Panaracers always seem to come in a bit smaller than the nominal size. My 1.8 Fire XC Pros are about the same size as others 1.5"

...you wouldn't think it would be that hard would you....

Think I will order a set of the 2.4's and hopefully they will come in around the same width as the Psychos - thanks for the responses guys!

Ade

IIRC the 2 widths on the WTB are for casing width and tread width (across the tip of the tread blocks).

I would check the clearance of the frame and go with the 2.4's if they fit. I can run lower pressures in wider tires for better comfort, more traction, more grip and better rolling resistance off-road. The downside is a bit more resistance on the road, and a bit of weight. I know the wider tires work best for me, if you know what matters to you, take your pick.

Enjoy!!

Just like all vehicle tyres in terms of the rim width changing the wall. I put some 33 12.5 mud terrains on my 7 wheels and they were bulbous as a squid in a polyethylene bag.

Yep from what I've seen thinner rims make the tyres wider because they angle the side knobles out more.

Back