"Make" your own bike lock? Have we been ripped off

xerxes":z1q4i5kv said:
Not as secure as pitlock skewers but will deter a casual theif and a lot cheaper: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6282 - they require a special allen key with a hole in the centre.
I've always though that quick release skewers are pretty pointless unless you're road racing and being followed by a support car.

Having mistakenly over-tightened a front wheel skewer to the point where the axle went BANG (following a puncture repair) roughly 10 miles from where I'd parked my car in 100-degree heat, I'm never not using Q/Rs again :LOL:
With Q/Rs I think it's easier to feel when the skewer is sufficiently tight.
I have a set of Pitlocks laying around from the wife's P7 but it never gets locked up anywhere outdoors nowadays anyway so I took them off. Nicely made, but having to carry a spanner around just for the key is a bit daft.
I'm not liking the look of the hollow allen key for those Brand-X skewers, I must say.

When it comes to locks, you get what you pay for imo.
Had these two ten years (mostly in London) and nobody ever messed with them, even when securing my thief-magnet Volvo-Cannondale.
I too think a combo of D- and cable-locks works.
The Granit Futura is ace, so darn light.

Locks_zpsa136140d.jpg

I'm not liking the look of the hollow allen key for those Brand-X skewers, I must say.

They're not super quality it has to be said, the allen key isn't a fantastic fit in the hole and initially I was a bit dubious about them, however I've had them on a couple of my bikes for two or three years now and I've not had any problems with them.

Back