alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on page 3

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'd always planned to buy another alpinestars Al-Mega DX after my one got stolen visiting a girlfriend 15 years ago. 
This one came up at a good price, it's a different year and hence slightly different frame design but after spending 15 minutes in front of the seller checking for cracks I bought it.
Everything appears to be origional except the stem and bar, but I happened to find the exact origional ones in my garage a few days before I bought it!
The seat post has been cut very short so I am going to fit my Joplin and turn it into a retro trail bike. The Deore DX piano shifters are just as bad as I remember and would be swapped if it didn't involve swapping brake levers as well.
Unfortunately I forgot to test ride it before stripping!

1360192539235.jpg

After spending two hours polishing it to a mirror finish I decided to paint it in its original colours. So sanded it back down again!

As you can see I have a custom built state of the art paint room. 
My photography skills are almost as impressive. 
This is the etch primer. 

1360192840919.jpg

White Primer, unfortunately I was in a rush and had to buy it from Halfords. 

1360195733877.jpg

alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on page 3

Painted with a very bright white to reduce the use of final colours.

1360272133783.jpg

Flourescent yellow for the forks and stem.
Basecoat for the frame.

1360272211169.jpg

Re: alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991

1991. My favourite alpinestars vintage. :) How's the fluro' going on? When I did mine it took a few coats to get a finish I was happy with.

Joplins are really good! It saves stopping and adjusting the seatpost all the time.

The flourescent is surprisingly easy to use. You can put it on quite thick, I'm glad I used the bright white first though as I think I'll use a lot less.
I just need to work out where the flourescent goes on the frame!

Hopefully just another coat on the stem and forks then lacquer. And another basecoat then the topcoat then lacquer on the frame tomorrow.

Starting to take shape quite nicely...

Is it a rattle-can finish? Or spray gun?

Rampage":1ke4knh0 said:

Have you got your decals yet? What I did was place them on the frame and pencil mark where they would cover and then masked off the white frame and applied the fluro.

Masking.jpg

Yellow%2520coat.jpg

Clearcoat.jpg

watching this with interest.

nice example of good decals at the bottom :cool:

dallas95":3qb5kf4n said:
Rampage":3qb5kf4n said:

Have you got your decals yet? What I did was place them on the frame and pencil mark where they would cover and then masked off the white frame and applied the fluro.

Thanks, gives me an idea!

Back