What do you do to pay for all the bikes ?

I've done all sorts - I'm a toolmaker by trade, (with a mechanical engineering degree) but I've also at various times in my life been a bass player (still am, but don't make much money from it any more), a tractor and digger driver and a bathroom designer/installer.

Now I'm too old too be arsed with any of it really and spend most of my time working on our house, trying to get it to a state where we can say it's "finished" - never seems to happen though :roll: .

In three weeks time I'm off to Platsa ( a tiny village in Messinia, Greece) where I'll do much the same for seven weeks (fitting a shower room in our house and installing a new WC for one of our neighbours).
Sort of a busman's holiday with a bit of quality riding thrown in.

As far as affording anything goes its getting to the point where we feel we can barely afford to live here (the Isle of Man). It's full to overflowing with too many bloody posh company cars driven by young "DINKY"'s and the like - luckily however most of them live in Douglas on their would-be executive estates and never venture "up north" - it is grim you know :) . Our 14 year old VW Golf and 24 year old G-Wagen look out of place in the "big city" (as my Father used to call Douglas) and so probably do I.....

Our 24 year old daughter is trying to buy her first home (a flat really) .
One hundred and twenty bloody thousand for a one bedroom flat conversion in a not very well maintained Victorian house :!: Crazy...

Chip on my shoulder at what my Island has become ?? Who - me ?? :cool:

I worked for Bentley Motor Cars for 12 years as an Electrician and then a Cost Engineer until last month, now I'm working as a Quantity Surveyor at the BBC's Media City in Manchester!!!

Me? I'm just planning for armageddon......

O.K. then; Emergency Planning Officer for a Local Authority.

That's the one that pays!

Started in general admin in Local Government, got professionally qualified in Purchasing, which led to Contract Management and then Environmental Management (with a bit of Emergency Planning on the side). Eventually got to be Director of Environment 'til I got made redundant.

Had the chance to make a change and decided that collecting peoples bins, sweeping the streets and cutting the grass was sooooo boring! (no I didn't do it all myself)

So chose to look for a job in one of the more interesting areas of my work. Don't pay so well, so less bike vouchers but hell of a lot less stress.

And the ones that don't pay?

Press Officer for the Green Lane Association

Chairman of Hertfordshire 4x4 Response

International Mountain Bike Commissaire for the Union Cycliste Internationale*

National Cyclo Cross Commissaire for British Cycling*

* OK these ones do pay expenses

hah it appears im the only cycling proficiency tutor for middle and primary schools.i also teach road safety and awareness to primary kids.been doing it dor a while and its great .(council pay petrol costs which is nice....2 litre volvo turbo to look after). i usually have a class of 10 to 12 monsters whom i yell at every day at various schools.im also going to be teaching mountain biking in thetford to under priv kids (when they phone to let me know when it starts.)ps any one want some shiny hedgehog stickers heheh. l

I'm a pilot......helicopters. Most of my time spent trying to teach people to fly so end up a bag of nerves at the end of every day!

Back