Show us what you did today, thread

Sounds like a good project Dyna. Be nice to see once you get it home.
Should keep you out of mischief for a while ;)
Are you coming on the weekend? Be good to see you.
Jamie

I'm here dyna and I bought a late 40's/early 50's Rudge Whitworth machine about 10 year ago.
Used it stock for a while with rod operated drum brakes, 3 speed SA hub with rear drum (135 seperate comonent parts I was told in those hubs) and original steel wheels and 28 x 1.5" tyres. Weighed 46 Ibs all in and required anticipating the need to brake miles in advance :LOL:
Eventually could not deal with the weight and rubbish brakes any longer so stripped it down to the frame and passed most components onto the Bikestation.
About 3 years ago I rebuilt it as a fixie with some hybrid forks and wide upswept cruiser bars. It still sports its original 'hand' logo chainset. Now weight around 30 Ibs plus which is heavy for a fixie but I dont care.
Its my favourite bike and gets commuted to and from work and was ridden through the snow and ice today.
I have even toured in Belgium and Holland on it and raced in a Single Speed race although I think I was as near last as makes little difference :LOL:
The only issues you might have with it are the fact its actually a Raleigh in disguise as Rudge's Coventry based cycle business folded during the depression and was bought out by Raleigh and production moved to their Nottingham HQ. As a result it will have the bloody annoying feature of 26 TPI threading on the fork steerer and bottom bracket so that only original Raleigh components will fit :facepalm:
Have fun !

Was thinking of rebuilding the wheels in alloy with lovely s/s spokes,that should save a bit of weight :? as to the rod brakes,its not like i can go very fast so braking should be acceptable

I promise not to cobble a set of discs onto it :LOL:

velo":2fjz32pa said:
TPI threading on the fork steerer and bottom bracket so that only original Raleigh components will fit
Have fun !
Im in the bike station remember,finding these parts is a doddle,and we've got many of the tools needed to cut threads etc.If all else fails it would be probably easier it retap them all to modern m series :?

But as you say,it will be fun.

@ Jamie
Unlikely to be doing much this year.Health is not good
Its not just the smoking,im pretty sure i damaged something at Dunkeld a couple of years ago, taking in huge breathes of frozen air :?

dyna-ti":1y3fqweh said:
velo":1y3fqweh said:
@ Jamie
Unlikely to be doing much this year.Health is not good
Its not just the smoking,im pretty sure i damaged something at Dunkeld a couple of years ago, taking in huge breathes of frozen air :?

Doctor (to young girl): Huge Breaths

Young girl: Yeth and I'm only thixthteen

:D

Dunno.

I get mixed up between Jim Beam, Yukon Jack and Jack Daniels.

Never drunk Jim Davidson :facepalm:

Been working on the Kili all week getting it ready for BB.

IMG_0442_zps2b088ef5.jpg

Shortly after I took the photos the postie arrived so there will be another update tomorrow. :mrgreen:

And it looks like I won't even make it up to Dunkeld. :facepalm:

I'll also vulture in :oops: I do believe a nice set of 80mm Z2's
as above [but with a lot more finesse ;) ] If you consider splitting your bike to complete another project,please consider myself as a possible candidate for giving them a new home :D

Cheers Gaz. Will give you first refusal if I decide to sell. Can only see that happening if the right Titanium frame comes up, but you never know. ;)

Dyna. I'm not sure if you are trying to sell me some forks or buy some. :LOL: The forks that were fitted are Z3.5s from '99/'00 and have 100mm travel, which is why they are a bit long for the Kili. If you are interested they might be for sale once I have tested the new front end. Let me know.

So today I crawled from my sick bed to take photos of what I did yesterday.

I have turned the Kili into a 69er. :mrgreen:

IMG_0480_zps89df5e8d.jpg

A new/NOS Kona 700C P2 fork with 29er wheel, and I finally found a tyre that would clear.

IMG_0454_zps1a6123cb.jpg

No much clearance mind. :LOL:

This combination actually lowers the front end from what it was with the bombers so hopefully the handling will be a bit better, not that it was bad with the Bombers. Also happen to think it looks quite good. :cool:

Back