Would you buy my Tune wheelset conundrum

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mmm...my lovely Tune wheelset has been a bit of a pain. They are the Tune Prince and Princess hubs laced to DT XR350 (I think) rims
The rear carbon axle broke for some reason so off to Wally at Posh for fixing. New alloy axle was machined at Tune for me. New bearings as well. Now Wally tells me the freehub has been altered and is pretty much fecked.
So I am into just a shy over £200 to get the rear fixed. The front is fine.
The soft DT rims have some indents from mounting tyres.

So if the works goes ahead I will have a super light and very strong wheelset that I no longer need. The fantastic hubs will be perfect with slightly less than perfect rims.

Not sure whether to go ahead with the new freehub and try to sell the wheels as a pair at £400 (they cost me £300+shipping+repairs) or cut my losses

Whadya reckon?

Harryburgundy":3rv1hiep said:
so off to Wally

I was with you until I read that. You can't have technical stuff done by a guy called Wally. It's like having a computer fixed by a guy with a Brummie accent or visiting a proctologist with big hands - they may be able to do the job perfectly well but it just won't feel right and you'll always worry that something else is now wrong.

That said, its always easier to sell things that work than things that ae broken, especially high cost things like those wheels. 'Broken' means they are badly made - 'fitted with one-off, custom machined parts' means the racer boys will love 'em

If the rims were in good condition then I would have thought go for it and get them repaired.

Its a lot to claw back especially as a) the rims aren't in the best condition & b) even if they were chances are buyers would want to swap them out for something lighter and stronger :?

Just my thoughts though ;)

Hi Harry

Could you enlighten us slightly to what this means please :?:

Now Wally tells me the freehub has been altered

Who altered it, did it occur when the axle broke, if so was it during the normal use of the wheels :?:

I also do not trust Posh bikes :!: :!:

Cheers

Mark :D

The axle breaking was a different thing...it was probably my lbs who tapped the axle with a hammer (a no-no with the carbon axle)

Wally says that during the rebuild of bearings he had trouble removing the freehub (to replace the freehub bearing). He says that the pawls have been ground down to make them thinner and that I need a new freehub as the splines inside the hub are damaged. The hub spun fine before so I am a wee perplexed :?

I think you might get more for them if you get them fixed, but I'm not sure you'd get back everything you have invested in them...

If the axle and freehub have broken under normal use, how is it you're paying 200 quid to get them fixed? Surely something like that would be under guarantee?

if the splines inside the hub are damaged then surely a new shell would be needed.

If you need a new shell and freehub why not see if Tune would sell you just these bits as you already have a new axle and bearings.

TBH unless I am missing something the advice you seem to have had seems very strange.

In my experience Poshbikes don't know hay from a bulls foot. If the hub spun freely before you sent it off and the freehub is damaged now, it sounds like either a manufacturing fault, or they fecked it up while removing it, either way it sounds like you have done nothing wrong so why are you paying for it :?: Also why are they machining an alloy axle rather than sending a carbon replacement :?:

Back