Can Anyone Date my GIOS TORINO SUPER RECORD???

tankbullock

Dirt Disciple
Just purchased this pretty immaculate GIOS Super Record from the Bay and I was wondering if Anyone had any Idea how I could date (approx) it?

It has a 7 speed Campag Super Record Groupset which I believe is Original to the bike.

Thanks in Advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• dscn0624h.jpg
    dscn0624h.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0637p.jpg
    dscn0637p.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0639ci.jpg
    dscn0639ci.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0640q.jpg
    dscn0640q.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0642l.jpg
    dscn0642l.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0651tx.jpg
    dscn0651tx.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0633j.jpg
    dscn0633j.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 637
  • dscn0669qk.jpg
    dscn0669qk.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 637
:shock: WOW :shock:

Immaculate is almost an understatement, even the tyre labels line up with the valves!

Can't help with the date but that is stunning, are you going to say what you paid? ;)

This looks suspiciously like the one that was on eBay for £1852. I trust you did a BIN with the seller for less, unless you were the seller. It's a beauty and the seller seems good. it looks to me like a mid-eighties build but obviously this is based on the components which we can only assume are original. You'll need a Gios expert to be more accurate but I suspect the quite rare Stronglight Delta headset is original as these can be tough to remove cleanly.

It wasn't cheap and I daren't say exactly in case I burst into flames but under £2000 and over £1000.

I had thought about buying a frame and then sourcing the parts but I don't think I would of actually ended up saving any money plus it would have been a collection of bit's rather than an original bike and it would have probably taken about 6 months to source everything.

I know there is a joy in building up a bike but when I saw this one come up in my size, exactly as I would have specced it myself, I pressed go!

I will have to sell my Saronni Colnago now as no matter how many times I convince myself that a 54cm isn't too big for me, My 52cm Gios proves that it is.

agentorange":4fs6zrky said:
This looks suspiciously like the one that was on eBay for £1852. I trust you did a BIN with the seller for less, unless you were the seller. It's a beauty and the seller seems good. it looks to me like a mid-eighties build but obviously this is based on the components which we can only assume are original. You'll need a Gios expert to be more accurate but I suspect the quite rare Stronglight Delta headset is original as these can be tough to remove cleanly.

It is the one that was on Ebay and I did get a sizeable discount from the asking price. Yeah he is a great seller and his packing is about the best I have ever seen!

about as good as it gets for an 80's bike. Hope you ride it rather than have it as a wall hanger. Have fun!

pigman":25b5udyd said:
about as good as it gets for an 80's bike. Hope you ride it rather than have it as a wall hanger. Have fun!

I won't be riding it in the rain and the snow, but it will definitely be getting ridden. :LOL:

That's pretty stunning.

I'll go early 80s: it has recesses for the allen key brake bolts and braze on bosses for the gear levers (predominantly 80s), but still no braze on front mech hanger and over-the-BB cable routing (predominantly 70s). But I'm not a Gios expert.

If the components are original, they would give a clue as well. In particular, what's the date stamp on the rear mech? The Brooks saddle should also have a date stamp on the cantle.

Nick

Excuse me for being a dumbo but where on the rear Mech is the date info? I can only see the word Pat 80 on it apart from the 'super record' and obvious branding stuff.

I'd assumed the Brooks maybe wasn't the right saddle for this bike. It is definitely a period saddle but I've never seen any GIOS with Brooks on, always seem to be Turbo's etc.

PAT80 = 1980 (PAT = Patent). So it could be 1980, which sounds about right to me.
I agree about the Brooks; not the done thing on a 1980 Italian bike...
Nick

Back