rockshox Mag 21 SL Ti restore & questions

lowntegra

Old School Hero
hey gang! fairly new to the site here, and i have had the pleasure of doing business with a few people on here already.

anyways, i scored a Mag 21 Sl Ti a few weeks ago off ebay, and have been restoring it since. i do have a few questions, perhaps for the retro fork experts more knowledgeable than myself:

the fork came with:
-what i believe is an SL steerer/ crown assembly - alloy steerer, and the underside of the crown is machined out (see pics)
-the hardware - crown bolts, brake bosses, & brace bolts were NOT ti (possibly replaced by previous owners?)
-definitely the SL chromey / gold lower legs
-the brace was the very silver , almost chrome like color, again pretty sure this is the SL part
-the top adjusters are the 6 position cnc alloy ones, not plastic
-stickers are the mag 21 sl stickers
-which leads me to my next question: i am aware there are TWO versions of the SL decals floating around ;
- the version that says "MAG 21" on the bottom
- the version that says "TITANIUM" on the bottom
-what is the significance of this change? model year? or actual spec on the fork?

all info is greatly appreciated!!!!
0206131019_zps95fef94c.jpg

0206131019a_zpsf46e015a.jpg

0206131020_zpsc1ddbcf6.jpg

titaniumversionsticker_zps22e70295.jpg

rockshoxsticker2_zps1800f3c1.jpg

the last one is the actual stickers i peeled off and scanned, to reproduce them. can you guys tell anything from the serial number bar code sticker??

just found a little bit more info here:
viewtopic.php?t=122744
this seems to confirm it IS an SL Ti, albeit with no ti hardware. still looking for the different sticker info...

I means they are the MAG21-SL and not the MAG21-SL/Ti
that is all.
which is just the bolts and bosses.

The SL parts are the Alu steerer you have and the Magnesium brace you have (normally a stiffer Alu one) it should be less than 200g iirc, It is a good deal lighter.

The rest is standard 1994 MAG21.

As a side question the adjuster rod in the stanchion is the the Alu one (silver) or Delrin (black plastic). All I know it they switched to the black plastic at some point in the 1994 year production run.

ah ha! well that explains a lot then. thank you.

yes, the brace that came with it is magnesium i believe (very hard to tell), but yes it is wicked light. i may be replacing it with the Brodie cnc one i have sitting here ;) it is heavier, but looks super cool...

as for the hardware, i have already replaced it all with purple ti. the lone exception being the brake bosses, as M5 ti bosses are impossible to find..

i'll make another thread possibly, showing my refurbished manitou 4, as well. more ti goodness...

There is a set of the SL decals on ebay us at the moment, but from what you say you've probably remade them already

for Mag 21 decals you can also ask Gil_M over here. he made some for me around one year ago.

Back