SORTED! Track Hub/s SORTED!

theproudhighway

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looking for a cheap rear 120mm Track Hub that takes a freewheel. Preferably loose bearings rather than sealed. I've got a front but if you've got a pair that would be cool.

Hoping to try my hand at building a set wheels for the first time :D

Cheers

Sorted now, thanks. Got impatient and ordered some On-One Hubs.

Re: WANTED: Track Hub/s

Bump!

Should have also said I'm looking for 32 hole Hub/s.

Really anything considered, even if it's crappy. It's only for practice building some wheels, so trying to keep the cost as low as possible.

Thanks

If you are looking for a flip flop hub there are tons of cheap Chinese crap hubs out there due to the fixie kids. Otherwise if you plan on running a single speed freewheel only then any old road hub will work. Just change the quick release axel to a solid bolt on type, respace the cones to 120 and BAM your are good to go.

lewisfoto":1cmlkug4 said:
If you are looking for a flip flop hub there are tons of cheap Chinese crap hubs out there due to the fixie kids. Otherwise if you plan on running a single speed freewheel only then any old road hub will work. Just change the quick release axel to a solid bolt on type, respace the cones to 120 and BAM your are good to go.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Thank you. I'm not too familiar with road components. What is the physical size of a road hub body that's made to accept a screw on cassette? Yes, I will be using a screw on freewheel. I tried Fixed for a couple of weeks, it wasn't for me. I like brakes and being able to coast :D

I could get an On-One High flanged hub for £15 in silver, but to be honest the rims I'm using don't even justify spending that. If all goes well with the first build I've got another set of rims that I'll get some On-One hubs for.

Just checked and a high flanged hub would be perfect, because the original wheel has a Sturmey Archer hub and the spokes would be the right length. So, no need to buy different spokes = Virtually a no cost build.

Like with MTBs the physical size of the hub body varies depending on manufacturer. However the rear is fairly narrow because it is designed to accommodate a multi gear freewheel. As a result you will end up with a lot of spacers on the left side in order to get the correct chainline. The good news is that the wheel will be much stronger due to the equal dish.

lewisfoto":30giexlv said:
Like with MTBs the physical size of the hub body varies depending on manufacturer. However the rear is fairly narrow because it is designed to accommodate a multi gear freewheel. As a result you will end up with a lot of spacers on the left side in order to get the correct chainline. The good news is that the wheel will be much stronger due to the equal dish.

Thanks for the information, lewisfoto. I'm enjoying learning about this. Building wheels is just about the only thing I can't do with my bikes (and welding, which I hope to try my hand at this year) I've got a lot of learning to do.

Still looking for a cheap hub.

Cheers

Back