Gay Marriage

My apologies I missed the word 'gay', post edited please can you explain why you think 'homosexuality os a choice' ?

Yes I do have a very high opinion of myself, you say it like it's a bad thing.

I have no wish to conduct a conversation by pm, face to face ? well the next time I'm in the UK maybe, I just wish to know why you think 'homosexuality is a choice' when you have done this I will, if your argument is valid respect your opinion but just to say 'you must respect my opinion is ridiculous. It's like saying 'Hitler was a nazi dictator but you have to respect his opinion'. See it doesn't work.

Over to you.

Wow didn't even know there was such a thing, just googled it, well you live and learn.

Still waiting for your reposte Mr Jetman.

Edit: Stalemate ? No, that would mean both sides locked in an arguement where each side has a valid hypothesis. And aprt from the 'perversion' and 'choices' posts which have been kind of cop outs there has been nothing to suggest that same sex marriage is a bad idea apart from it'll suppoosedly piss god off a bit.

Still waiting for your valid hypothesis Mr Jetman.

Just between you and me I reckon the lefty liberals won this one. ;)

I have been involved in the gay scene, have gay family, gay ex partners, etc.

It is not as simple as some of the statements here suggest.

There ARE some people who 'choose' to be 'gay', I would guess a small number but I have known a few.

This is sometimes peer pressure, sometimes a reaction to life experiences.

The important thing is to respect that choice, and not to suggest there is a choice for everyone.

I am not bisexual, but I do not see sexuality as static. It is dynamic, but for practical purposes it makes sense for some to fix their position.

My step brother was the stud of the town until he was twenty nine, when he decided to go gay.

He was very political about it until I took him down to live in Manchester, and he realised he was not the only gay in the village.

Five years later he went straight again.

An unusual story, but one I am well acquainted with.

I have had several ex partners who are now gay.

And others who were.

My conclusion is that sexuality is fluid. From my research.

This is why I never argue for accepting gays on the basis they were 'born that way' and 'can't help it'.

As far as I am concerned everyone should accept whatever anyone does that does not harm them or the world around them.

I am deliriously happy with my marriage, but I could be happy with many of the gay men I have known.

Jones was so wrong when he suggested "They don't like it up 'em"!

I put my opinion of "born that way" because when I was 19 I lived in a house owned by a gay landlord and tenanted mainly by gay men and women as the landlord preferred it that way and they were all very much of the opinion that people are born to be gay as they all felt they were, when I moved to a different town I had a flat mate who used to have her gay friends over for Prisoner Cell Block H parties (do you remember that) and they were all determined that it's the way you were born. I guess I never argued whether it was something you were born to be. I can see though how it could be dynamic, I have heard for instance that prostitutes sometimes have gay relationships because they have no trust in straight ones and that women who have been raped or sexually abused by men have preferred, for the sake of trust, relationships with women. I think it is important that it comes across that a lot of the gay community cannot just say ok I'm straight now as they don't have the choice and it is something they were born and will always be.

Alison

My point there is that it is irrelevant whether or not it is a choice or innate.

Acceptance and tolerance is what marks a civilised society, and we should not even need to get into that debate.

If you crash a car, you can submit mitigation, it might be relevant why.

You shouldn't need to explain to anyone that you are gay and want to be equal.

highlandsflyer":2ed9po9y said:
I have been involved in the gay scene, have gay family, gay ex partners, etc.

It is not as simple as some of the statements here suggest.

There ARE some people who 'choose' to be 'gay', I would guess a small number but I have known a few.

This is sometimes peer pressure, sometimes a reaction to life experiences.

The important thing is to respect that choice, and not to suggest there is a choice for everyone.

I am not bisexual, but I do not see sexuality as static. It is dynamic, but for practical purposes it makes sense for some to fix their position.

My step brother was the stud of the town until he was twenty nine, when he decided to go gay.

He was very political about it until I took him down to live in Manchester, and he realised he was not the only gay in the village.

Five years later he went straight again.

An unusual story, but one I am well acquainted with.

I have had several ex partners who are now gay.

And others who were.

My conclusion is that sexuality is fluid. From my research.

This is why I never argue for accepting gays on the basis they were 'born that way' and 'can't help it'.

As far as I am concerned everyone should accept whatever anyone does that does not harm them or the world around them.

I am deliriously happy with my marriage, but I could be happy with many of the gay men I have known.

Jones was so wrong when he suggested "They don't like it up 'em"!

Very well put, I would however dispute the implication that some gay people can change their sexuality to suit, that makes them bisexual surely ?

Back