cars for under a grand...?

Re:

BigFoz":2p1kt4bf said:
Suzuki Wagon R+

Plenty for around a grand. I ran one for 138,000 miles and only got rid of it (stupid stupid stupid) because it failed MOT needing welding and I had a spare car (Renault Scenic) my father in law had passed on to us, and it was 138k miles, and the wife wanted us to get rid of a car.

Bike in boot (seats fold flat), perfect tip car (Will take up to 1/2 ton paving slabs and cement though steering goes a bit light... ), 48Mpg average over the 138k of abuse. Driving included commutes into London (used to drive half way and ride half way), and back lane thrashing (Regularly scared a Porsche up through back of Broxbourne in the lanes). Will beat an Aston DB7 from 0-25 at the lights in Broxbourne on the A10 due to low 1st gear, though you're utterly b*ggered thereafter...

Truly regret getting rid of little Suzie...

Rita the Renault Scenic diesel (average 46Mpg over 60k miles) is a poor substitute, though that also takes a bike in the back handily, it lacks all character and fun.
I had the vauxhall agila version. I could get me and the 2 lads and our bikes inside, as its tall enough to stand bikes up without the front wheel. I carried plasterboard inside, tons of bricks and building materials, 45+ mpg. The low gearing makes it a great town car and 0-30mph was faster than my fiesta 1.4. Park it anywhere too. Pram-like tyres make it good in snow too - once overtook some posh japanses 4x4 going uphill in snow. Downsides are its crap on motorways - the low gearing makes it noisy and the brick shape means it gets thrown around in winds. And its crap on B-roads cos it rolls on corners.

legrandefromage":1vfcdyyi said:
I've been toying with a 'proper' Saab 900

DO IT!!!

I have had 6 or 7 over the years (and I am only 36), and would be all over another one if The Management didnt have anything to do with it

This was my baby
Saabarella_Side_1.sized.jpg

I've been toying with a 'proper' Saab 900

It won't cost under a grand for long then. My dad had a black Saab 900 Carlsson turbo, built like a tank, went like sh1t of a hot wombat, lovely to drive, but not exactly cheap to run or to fix. It didn't go wrong often, but when it did it was expensive, he was always complaining about the cost of spares and repairs.

You'd be better off buying a Swiftmobile. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2caCgciV_ZQ[/youtube]

From (long) personal experience, parts were cheap if you knew where to get them, and the only serious failures I experienced were of the self inflicted variety, most commonly associated with trying to put over 220hp through an ageing 5spd transmission, originally designed as a 4spd, in 1968, for 80hp......

the sound of innevitability was louder than the (exquisite) exhaust :LOL:

G

Back