Modern XT Derailler Adjustments Front and Rear, help needed.

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
Sorry this is a new MTB question! I have a Cube I bought end of last year, its was in the sale and a good deal. I went out on my first ride a week before Christmas, went through a puddle hiding ice and broke my leg :oops:

Any how, I noticed the gears were out whilst riding home with said busted leg.

I have been meaning to get the gear indexing setup but having trouble, first thing I have noticed is there is no barrel adjustment on the rear mech, so I presume all adjustment is done at the front shifter, I don't seem to have much room to adjust it. Is it best to loosen off the cable and stating from scratch, should the barrel adjuster be sent somewhere in the middle?

Also which should be setup first, front or rear mech... having trouble with both.

Finally in a 3x10 setup is it normal for chan rub whilst in a "cross chain" position? If I was to dump the large front chain ring would setup be any easier?

Sorry I am a bit simple went it comes to bike mechanics, but willing to learn and find the parktools site useful.

Re: Modern XT Derailler Adjustments Front and Rear, help nee

Personally, I set the rear up first. Loosen the cable and wind the barrel adjuster on the shifter back in. ser the limit screw for the H so that the top jockey wheel sits squarely under the big cog at the back. Now pull the cable tight and nip the bolt up. Not too tight, but so there is only a tiny bit of slack. Now shift through all gears and adjust L limit screw so the top jockey wheel now sits directly under the small cog. Cable should be nice and tense now. Thats the limits set.

Providing you have set up with sufficient tension then the gears should, in theory, index just fine. Use the barrel adjuster on the shifter if shifting is a bit slack. Also, before I forget, set the B screw on the mech so that the jockey wheel sits about 3-5mm from the biggest sprocket. There are zome good tutorials on youtube for this. Front mech setup is basically the same but without the B adjuster on it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJfKO_tAo0

Hope this helps!

Dan

If you crashed the bike then firstly I would check that the derailleur hanger is not bent - otherwise you will struggle to get it to work smoothly. Your LBS should have the tool in their workshop.

Thanks, checked things over not a single mark or damage I can see, inc bent hanger, frame, derailler.

With some trial and error I got it indexing perfectly, with a twist of the shifter barrell adjusters (I thought I was at the limit, but turns out I had over done it), the front mech was improved with the limiter screws.

Was thing of going down to 2 X 10 at some point, do these shimano shifters have a 3x to 2x switch? Its is last years XT.

Whatleymeister":2x45cwuz said:
...... set the B screw on the mech so that the jockey wheel sits about 3-5mm from the biggest sprocket.....

i have NEVER done this.....:shock: will be checking this when i build my next bike!!! lol

twain":22cbvv96 said:
Whatleymeister":22cbvv96 said:
...... set the B screw on the mech so that the jockey wheel sits about 3-5mm from the biggest sprocket.....

i have NEVER done this.....:shock: will be checking this when i build my next bike!!! lol

Isn't this wehat they call "angle to the dangle"?

mattrixdesign2":1il6ypxk said:
twain":1il6ypxk said:
Whatleymeister":1il6ypxk said:

Isn't this wehat they call "angle to the dangle"?

always wondered what the purpose of that screw is......:oops:
never had issue before by not doing it though :p

just did it tonight on my latest build. will see if it makes any marked differences when i come to ride it.....

Back