Wheels and tyres questions...

MrBen

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I am at last getting round to sorting out the mixte I picked up for my other half a couple of years ago. Yeah, I know - slack. Other than changing tyres I've not really done much to my previous bikes so please bear with me, my lack of knowledge and dumb ass questions!

I have now, successfully it seems, replaced the chain which is a first for me :) Now I've changed the innertubes to some that the valves are still attached and pumped the tyres up I've found that, unsurprisingly, the tyres are knackered.

So after all that waffle - the point of the post!

I'd like to replace the wheels as they appear to be steel and heavy. Are these any good for the money? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700c-freewhe ... 05015.html and http://www.decathlon.co.uk/front-wheel- ... 05017.html

or is there something else I should be looking for. The bike has a 5 speed freewheel.

She really wants cream delta cruisers on the bike and they are 35mm - how do I figure out if they will fit the frame without buying them? I think they will fit the frame OK, but I'm not sure about the brake clearance - can this be adjusted?

Here's some pics of the bike in case it helps!

Thanks for reading.

6D3B89AA-DA51-4428-981E-272858CFB7F8-11534-00000A8D377FA1CB_zpsb02e5e43.jpg

33CCFD0A-CEE3-47DD-B807-93F37D137B21-11534-00000A8D599E4A4D_zps20be0aff.jpg

30ED71AB-D32D-4E29-AA18-46F4E6A53C21-11534-00000A8D5FF794F6_zpsabb9309f.jpg

7D9E5C3B-3218-42F0-8357-619D546D63AB-11534-00000A8D6843627A_zpsa736ee3a.jpg

As long as the wheels are still in good working condition, are still round and do not have dents and the like, I would not replace them. This is only because the bike frame is probably what is making the bike heavy more than the wheels. As far as the 35mm width tires, it looks to me =like you have ample room but why not just measure the gap. Alternately have a bike shop fit the tires. Most reputable bike shops will not charge you if they do not fit.

Thanks for the feedback Lewis.

I thought that changing to alloy wheels would improve the breaking over the old steel ones - its not that dry over here at the moment and I've never heard nice things said about steel rims and rain :) You are right though - its not the lightest of frame frames, seems to ride nicely though.

If increased braking power is what you are after a better upgrade would be some dual pivot brakes. Tektro makes a set that have long reach for old machine like this. Also ditch the brake lever extensions cause you can't get good leverage with those.

Hey, thanks - thats a great help :) My girlfriend will definitely appreciate better brakes! Though if the drops stay I think she'll want to keep the brake lever extensions. She's already asking about moving the shifters to the stem from downtube...

Thanks again.

oops there may be one small problem upgrading the brakes. Since this is a Mixte the rear brake is cabled backwards which is to say that the cable stop is on the bottom instead of top. Still I think a clever mechanic can find a work around for this.

I did a similar rebuild on an old Viking. I had the same problem with the brakes - swapping to modern levers and cables made a huge difference. I kept the old callipers.

I absolutely disagree on the wheels. Ditch the steel ones. The lighter wheels will make the bike more responsive (the gyroscopic effect of rotating mass has a big effect on handling). I note that the advice on braking came from someone in California. Steel rims are downright dangerous in the wet, while rainy days are few in California...enough said. Get new wheels, 27" rims are still around, and this would save you the problem of the existing callipers not reaching the marginally smaller 700c standard today.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/alloy-27-x-1 ... prod23898/

Thanks for that hamster.

I'm more concerned with braking than the weight, but it will all help! It has 700c wheels so that should make it simpler. Any views on the decathlon wheels? I've no idea if they are good for the money! £55 for the pair with skewers doesn't seem to bad. Will get some new brake blocks too.

Will have a look at the levers - but as I said, she's pretty keen on keeping the extra pair of levers on the top bar of the handle bars.

I have just been informed by SWMBO that I should replace the cables too and that they should, ideally, be green. The right green. Or failing that, blue. What have I started!

Wheels are okay but I'd probably look for a decent second hand set should be able to get something half decent for £50; shimano hubs on mavic ma2 for example.

Braking I'd either switch the bars to something more suitable ie north road or swap the dodgy suicide levers to cross top levers with regular, decent, brake levers.

Not sure why green cables were suggested I'd personally go for blue to Match the graphics.

I absolutely agree with Tel. Cross Stop levers
redline-cross4.jpg

work much better. Suicide levers get the name as they usually hit the bars before engaging the brake fully... :shock:

If the management doesn't like drops then swap the bars for flats / North Road / On-One Mary or Fleegle etc.

Back