Gay Marriage

highlandsflyer":2tx9j489 said:
Plenty gays are not interested in this debate.

Suggesting those who are have no respect for an institution that castigates them is a little obtuse.

indeed I do belive most are happy with the status quo as it is and are not actually involved or pushing for the opportunity to get married in a bigoted and predjudiced religious ceremony fro faith('s) that are hnudreds of years out of date.
(One supreme unrelated irony that the church manaes an £8 billion and only recetly sold its £1.9 million of shares in newsgroup after the phone hacking scandle after they feared it had not learned lessons. not on finding out they were phone hacking)

Besides mos religions are a big old con anyway. maybe i should go round like the mormos or jehova's witness'es and ask people to convert to Atheism!

Isaac_AG":mmeoqqvm said:
Just because something has been illegal in the past doesn't mean it proves it to be wrong in the present, it was against the law for women to vote not so long ago, would you like to tell them, now it's legal, it's still morally wrong because it was seen as so once.

The gay community does respect religion, there is a strong religious following within the gay community. It has also been said in this thread by religious believers that the bible is up for interpretation by it's followers, so the gay community can interpret it and follow it how they see fit without infringing on others interpretation.

Alison

asking somone to change there views over night when they have a lifetime of beliving in something seems a bit unreasonable (not my belifes, the bed and breackfast people) i said that they (gays) dont respect the church not religion, did you turn your back on the church when they refused to conferm you? it seems a simmiler situation with marriage. why be part of somthing that dosen't except you?

Look, I am very flattered by all these proposals via PM, its just that I'm not interested and I thought you were only gay if you pushed back?

legrandefromage":1k38uiln said:
Look, I am very flattered by all these proposals via PM, its just that I'm not interested and I thought you were only gay if you pushed back?

you wish... highlands flyer is top of my list till you do something with your wayawrd hair!

ajm":1qng1oiy said:
Sylus and Ratbane are quite right in my opinion. It has increasingly been the case over the past twenty years and more in our society that many in vocal minority groups of all sorts of types have had their opinions foisted on the majority to the point where holding what was only a few years ago a majority view is now positively risky.

The great irony is of course that these are mostly groups who have made such a huge deal about tolerance... once the boot is on the other foot their true colours are revealed more clearly and suddenly tolerance is for those who agree with them; anyone holding opposing viewpoints is an ignorant, bigoted criminal and liable to prosecution as such.

I do not go around making threats of violence to homosexuals, nor do I hate them as a group or individuals; but I reserve the right to the opinion that their behaviour is a perversion (whether or not it is also found in some animal species, it IS an obvious perversion to any rational individual.)

That our society is so readily accepting of such perversions as "normal" is simply a sign that it is disintegrating. There isn't really anything new, modern or enlightened about this change; history has shown the results of this kind of societal change multiple times over thousands of years and we're going to see it ourselves over the next half-century or so.

This post was going ever so well until the bit I highlighted in bold.

My take is that with the way things are going, the organised church is on its way to becoming as marginalised as homosexuals were a couple of decades ago. Christians can be (and have been) victims of hate crimes too.

Now I am an atheist but for good or ill, the fear of God and Hellfire has been the glue holding European society together for centuries. And it does seem to be coming a little unstuck at the seams. It does seem that there is a need for a society to have some form of irrational faith that it at the very least pays lip service to.

Pretty much all of the thinking Christians I know have no issue with gay marriage - whereas the ones who do seem to be the ones who have virtually no concept of "what would our Lord Jesus have done?".

lumos2000":6drqk437 said:
Isaac_AG":6drqk437 said:
Just because something has been illegal in the past doesn't mean it proves it to be wrong in the present, it was against the law for women to vote not so long ago, would you like to tell them, now it's legal, it's still morally wrong because it was seen as so once.

The gay community does respect religion, there is a strong religious following within the gay community. It has also been said in this thread by religious believers that the bible is up for interpretation by it's followers, so the gay community can interpret it and follow it how they see fit without infringing on others interpretation.

Alison

asking somone to change there views over night when they have a lifetime of beliving in something seems a bit unreasonable (not my belifes, the bed and breackfast people) i said that they (gays) dont respect the church not religion, did you turn your back on the church when they refused to conferm you? it seems a simmiler situation with marriage. why be part of somthing that dosen't except you?

The refusal to confirm me was the beginning of the end. Most of it was because I believed that the priests were connected with god and were directed by this connection and yet they made up a reason to not allow me to be a complete Catholic which lead me to question the church.

I don't expect people to change overnight, it took me a few years, but I do think people should be open minded and tolerant. I don't think that gays are disrespecting the church either, there are many, many god fairing Catholics that are gay even in the priesthood, their was a priest in our church who was gay, and in many churches.

Personally though, if I wanted to spend my life with another woman I would not want to get married in a church, but I think that gay members of any church should have the right.

Alison

To Sylus, Ratbane, B77, etc. If you are against gay marriage, may I suggest that you don't marry a member of the same sex. Nobody is going to force you, honest.

Back