Gay Marriage

But the church is not refusing the right to exist, they just don't want to be forced to believe or take part in something they do not agree with.

ratbane":239sbtm5 said:
I just dont get it.

Marriage is a religious act, in which there is holy matrimony between a man and a woman, in the eyes of god.

Thus, from a religious point of view, gay marriage cannot be endorsed, because by definition, it is not a marriage.

Why the drive to call a legal partnership between two members of the same sex "marriage".

Why not call it something else, which has all the same legal brevity as a marriage.

Why are we hung up over the phrase "marriage"?

Questions, questions.

this, i think the gay community have got the idea of marriage confused. as for myself i was forced by current laws into marriage and after 15 years have no complaints. no church should be force to marry couples if they dont aggre with the marriage, that includes "normal" marriages
i felt sorry for the couple who were prosacuted for not alowing gay couples in their bed and breakfast.

sylus":1c2pow7i said:
But the church is not refusing the right to exist, they just don't want to be forced to believe or take part in something they do not agree with.
How does legal recognition for same-sex marriages force them to believe in anything? And in of itself, how's it forcing them to take part in anything?

If that does get advocated in the future, let them make that argument then, but it's not, currently, nor is that what they're currently arguing.

lumos2000":1uyjvjin said:
ratbane":1uyjvjin said:
I just dont get it.

Marriage is a religious act, in which there is holy matrimony between a man and a woman, in the eyes of god.

Thus, from a religious point of view, gay marriage cannot be endorsed, because by definition, it is not a marriage.

Why the drive to call a legal partnership between two members of the same sex "marriage".

Why not call it something else, which has all the same legal brevity as a marriage.

Questions, questions.

this, i think the gay community have got the idea of marriage confused. as for myself i was forced by current laws into marriage and after 15 years have no complaints. no church should be force to marry couples if they dont aggre with the marriage, that includes "normal" marriages
i felt sorry for the couple who were prosacuted for not alowing gay couples in their bed and breakfast.

I'm sorry but refusing to let someone stay because there gay is prejudiced, just as not letting someone stay because they have a different colour skin ora different religion or disabled, it's plain not on.

Alison

Sylus and Ratbane are quite right in my opinion. It has increasingly been the case over the past twenty years and more in our society that many in vocal minority groups of all sorts of types have had their opinions foisted on the majority to the point where holding what was only a few years ago a majority view is now positively risky.

The great irony is of course that these are mostly groups who have made such a huge deal about tolerance... once the boot is on the other foot their true colours are revealed more clearly and suddenly tolerance is for those who agree with them; anyone holding opposing viewpoints is an ignorant, bigoted criminal and liable to prosecution as such.

I do not go around making threats of violence to homosexuals, nor do I hate them as a group or individuals; but I reserve the right to the opinion that their behaviour is a perversion (whether or not it is also found in some animal species, it IS an obvious perversion to any rational individual.)

That our society is so readily accepting of such perversions as "normal" is simply a sign that it is disintegrating. There isn't really anything new, modern or enlightened about this change; history has shown the results of this kind of societal change multiple times over thousands of years and we're going to see it ourselves over the next half-century or so.

Isaac_AG":2gzy8tg0 said:
lumos2000":2gzy8tg0 said:
ratbane":2gzy8tg0 said:
I just dont get it.

Questions, questions.

I'm sorry but refusing to let someone stay because there gay is prejudiced, just as not letting someone stay because they have a different colour skin ora different religion or disabled, it's plain not on.

Alison

if you have certain beliefs then you should have the right to practice them in your own home, would you go a jewish house and instist on eating roast pork?

Isaac_AG":agzkz6zm said:

The couple in question did not refuse to let homosexuals to stay in their B&B, they declined to give them a double room, as they apparently did all obviously unmarried couples. I dare say there were plenty of other B&Bs around if they didn't like that policy. The fact of the matter is that we all have opinions and beliefs and these are in many cases going to be opposing and completely incompatible; in such cases, someone is going to have their beliefs or opinions "discriminated" against, no matter which party it ends up being.

Just the same could I insist a Jewish person est pork in my house. But its not a religious thing it's a prejudice thing. It does not matter what your religious views are, being prejudiced is wrong.

ajm":wn28puxn said:
Sylus and Ratbane are quite right in my opinion. It has increasingly been the case over the past twenty years and more in our society that many in vocal minority groups of all sorts of types have had their opinions foisted on the majority to the point where holding what was only a few years ago a majority view is now positively risky.

The great irony is of course that these are mostly groups who have made such a huge deal about tolerance... once the boot is on the other foot their true colours are revealed more clearly and suddenly tolerance is for those who agree with them; anyone holding opposing viewpoints is an ignorant, bigoted criminal and liable to prosecution as such.

I do not go around making threats of violence to homosexuals, nor do I hate them as a group or individuals; but I reserve the right to the opinion that their behaviour is a perversion (whether or not it is also found in some animal species, it IS an obvious perversion to any rational individual.)

That our society is so readily accepting of such perversions as "normal" is simply a sign that it is disintegrating. There isn't really anything new, modern or enlightened about this change; history has shown the results of this kind of societal change multiple times over thousands of years and we're going to see it ourselves over the next half-century or so.

What makes it a perversion? The fact that no children can be produced? Masturbating does not produce children but it's not perverted, and I think I am a rational human being, just a person with a very left-wing, liberal upbringing despite having begun life a Catholic.

It is about time I came clean and admitted I am a transsexual.

Is someone seriously trying to claim a few gays getting married is going to infringe the rights of a vast prejudiced organisation like the Church?

Oy vey cock!

Back