Spooky Metalhead Project.

MrFunk976

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

I recently got my hands on a Spooky Metalhead that is in need of some love.

I have soo many question about it but just dont know where to start. From looking at all the pics i can find it seems to be a possible early model as it has no disc mount holes. It was blue but where these frames powder coated? It also has a mtb bottom bracket, is this correct and not a bandwagon? I have email spooky but was told to ask around here. Any help is very welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 1,372
Definitely a Metalhead mate, the machining on the yokes are different on the Bandwagon, and the Bandwagon only ever had vertical dropouts. If my memory serves me right your Metalhead will be a fairly early one based on it not having the holes on the near side chainstay for the custom disc mount. If you need any help try searching for Mickey on here, he now runs Spooky and also used to work for them back in the day.

I may be able to help with a few things too as I worked for their UK distributor in the late 90's ;)

Thats right, they are a set of LM cranks that from what i can find out are pretty rare.

I did email Mikey and was told to join up here. I think he might be sick of people like me asking questions. He has some stickers that i will buying at some point. Do you know anything about the blue paint, if it was powder coat or such? Other than that i think its in pretty good nick for 15yrs old'ish frame. I had been thinking of getting it painted Porche Signal Green but might need franks permission, lol.

That's ace - I'd love t get my hands on one of these.

Two of my mates had them when they first came out - Z1's, Magura's, Profile cranks etc. They were so tough.

I quite like it polished, its a bit different. If you were going to repaint it, it should be blue. You know its the right thing to do :LOL:

Blue or green, lol.

As for period i have hs33's at home, z1 drop offs, some 24'' bmf wheels and other bits'n'bobs.

I'm not 100% certain whether the blue paint was a powder coat or not I'm afraid mate, I do remember it being as tough as nails though! Whilst the blue finished Metalhead were the ones largely seen in the UK there were a number also available in Black, White, Khaki, or Red. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will look great. Feel free to check out my Bandwagon build thread from the link in my signature if you need any inspiration! :)

What a machine!! These were the most solid, sought after hardtails on the market when I was a teen! I'm sure they went for £599-625.. Very jealous...

Would love to get my hands on one of these too, they look proper fun.

Also loving the idea of Khaki...

Back