Mercedes A class...Any experiences/ thoughts.

My mum used to have an A class (2002 long wheel base version) Nice enough car, more room in the rear passenger area than an S class according to the merc dealership. However it was in the infamous period of merc history where they decided the best way to reduce costs would be to reduce quality. All sorts of problems with trim just dropping off, inside and outside the car.

Oh and as Geoff says, the ride quality was very hard and cornering lacking, all down to the failing of the "elk test" where the suspension was stiffened up to stop the thing rolling over if you swerve to avoid an obsticle at speed.

The new A class is a lot better, back up to the standards to be expected. My father looked at downsizing from an E to one after retiring...ended up with the larger B class in the end as they no longer did an option of SWB/LWB on the A.

Odly enough my mother now has a Yaris and loves it to bits.

Personally i'd second the call above for a Bora, im on my 2nd TDi. great cars, like a golf but less common, and higher comparable spec level between the ranges.

Rented 'y' plate 1.4 and 1.6 versions.

1.6 nippy enough and didn't leave me aching after 8 hours driving.

Handling is OK, not as bad as one is led to believe. Didn't even come close to falling over whilst performing handbrake turns and reverse flicks.

4 star ncap, stability control, can be picked up cheaply now etc.

I'd be happy for the missus to have one if I was more sure about the suspension costs.

Could someone collate a list of cars that heathy is considering, so we can point out any he might have missed :)

Good idea Ken :LOL: Stil not made our minds up yet, may well be looking at a seat leon at the weekend.
Trouble is she keeps seeing other's and changing her mind :roll:

heathy":2hkn0z4i said:
looking at a seat leon at the weekend

Mk 1 or 2? New shape ones are nice. Don't bother with an old shape one, they're horrible (i had one), an older A3 is still a better car in every respect.

Flippin heck :roll: Right then i'm going to try a different approach to this ;)
How about you guys suggest a car for her :idea:
Its got to cost no more than £3.500 not be any older than a x plate with no more than say 80000 miles, clean and with a full service history.
Also need to be able to get a pram/push chair [ folds fairly flat ] and some shopping in the boot and have 5 doors, maybe air con too.
What do think :?:

VW Bora, Golf but with a boot and generally £1k cheaper than the equivalent Golf, That would be my next choice after the polo i have dies.

I second the Bora. Great cars, im on my 2nd. My first was involved in a accident that sadly wrote it off but kept me and the passenger totally unharmed, I still feel things could have been far more serious if it had of been in something of lighter construction (ford/vauxhall/citroen/renault etc).

So pleased of the way it looked after us that I bought another to replace it.

Get a TDi version...great engines.

Oh and the boot is cavernous, Ive had a bike in the boot without the need to lower the back seats, although it is easier to lower them I will admit.

Yep, tried that 1 with her, i also had 1 years ago, good car. She doesn't want 1 :?
Golfs too much money for a good 1 anyway.

Back