Santa Cruz Roadster

DaveP_retro

Devout Dirtbag
Got this old girl from a friend who's going to concentrate on MTB....

I'm not sure of the year, but it could be a 2003.

IMG_20130130_172531.jpg

Mainly Dura-Ace, with Easton forks, seatpost and wheels.

I need to spend a bit of time getting the stem height correct before I cut the tube to length. ;-)

Nicely does it there!. I remember lusting after these way back when - Santa Cruz was the stuff teenage dreams were made of (bicycle dreams, that is ;)). Get that puppy out in the sunshine and get some detail shots for the nostalgia re-livers out there....me :).

How's it ride? I heard these were rather unforgiving and harsh, any truth in it?.

EDIT: Thinking on it, I believe the Roadster wasn't produced for a great many years - I'm inclined to say '02 - '05? can anyone shed any light?.

RustyGold":8hljo82p said:
EDIT: Thinking on it, I believe the Roadster wasn't produced for a great many years - I'm inclined to say '02 - '05? can anyone shed any light?.

I sent the S/N to Scott @ SantaCruzBikes..
It's apparently a 1999 model - the first year of production. Almost 'Retro' :)

My only previous experience of road bikes is my '09 Giant Bowery, with a very solid Ali frame.... This has a similar feel, but the carbon seatpost and fork legs take out a lot of 'chatter'. You can tell the MTB history as the chain stays look like they are made from solid bar! :shock:

DaveP_retro":3ajm13o7 said:
RustyGold":3ajm13o7 said:

I sent the S/N to Scott @ SantaCruzBikes..
It's apparently a 1999 model - the first year of production. Almost 'Retro' :)

That's good to know, I hadn't remembered them being around from the late-nineties. I'd love to get my hands on one someday and given the 'extra' handful of years on production that I omitted, means I've got an even better chance :). Any ride report/pictures in the pipeline, Dave? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* ;)

RustyGold":27oxd9m5 said:
Any ride report/pictures in the pipeline, Dave? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* ;)

I've ridden it for my commute a couple of times and it's damn quick.... Just wish I could keep up with it!
Hit a few PB's on Strava. ;-)

Apparently the first owner was the guy who runs Stif in Leeds, who import SC bikes, and the second was Matt, their graphical designer (who I got it from). So it has a fair bit of SC provenance.

Santa Cruz don't do the stickers any more, so I'll not be re-spraying it. :-(

I'll post some better shots at the weekend. Anything anyone wants to see?

Back