The spanish inquisition....

highlandsflyer":24sgjl50 said:
The series were somewhat hit and miss.

Reciting Python was one of the rites of passage for British youth of the seventies.

Like reciting The Young Ones and partying to the Beastie Boys was for the eighties generation.

Or indeed, The Fast Show for the 90s generation. Isn't it? Wasn't it? Mmm, you know, enduring catchphrases. Marvellous. :)

David

P.S. You ain't read this - right? ;)

I think the spanish inquistion still exists today doesn't it.....absorbed into the vatican....but they just changed thier name.....think it was on QI recently.......think their now known a 'social services' or something :!:

Of course I skipped Not The Nine O'Clock News. I don't remember it inspiring much reciting.

The Fast Show indeed resulted in many reciters. Mainly catch phrases though.

Python was the one people dedicatedly recited entire sketches from, often collaborating to re-enact all the roles in a sketch.

Sad to think the young people have missed all that.

I missed actually seeing The Fast Show, the 90s being my TV-less years.

Remember fondly my Woody Allen, Bob Newheart, Steven Wright, Bill Hicks, Derek and Clive, Connolly and all the rest tapes. The way I took my comedy in the 90s.

highlandsflyer":2qrgblr1 said:
Of course I skipped Not The Nine O'Clock News. I don't remember it inspiring much reciting.

Indeed. Although it's hard to knock "completely newscasted" as a euphemism for being drunk. :)

A lot of the catchphrase-based comedy sticks in the mind pretty easily. With Dad & I being avid Vic Reeves Big Night Out viewers back in the day, anything of low quality is even now usually dismissed as "very poor" (said in appropriate voice) in our household. Likewise, my Nan's inability to tell the truth usually elicits the comment "you lying get!" ;)

David

I remember Steve Coogan's first forays.

He is incredible. He went from the faux drunk student hater to really quite sophisticated humour in a step, the Paul Calf Video Diaries are truly incredible. Definitely inspired reciting amongst my crowd.

Ben Elton was rat ta tat blistering pace funny, but his material never lent to recital as a result.

Harry Enfield really crystallized the catch phrase slogan style of comedy with Stavros.

When it comes to music and comedy, the UK is your one stop shop for world class offerings for sure!

Are we forgetting the Mary Whitehouse Experience here?

That's you, that is.

Chinny reckon

Etc.

NTNOCN?

Not eminently quotable? It was at my school.....

David Bloody Attenborough?
The production on that album is brilliant.
God's like that - he hates poofs.
American Express? - that will do nicely sir.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Dud and Pete yet though.

I take it that these are directed at me

greenstiles":a7gzzn1s said:
oh it's like this one isn't it.........

ww.howbraveisittoslagsomeoneoffinfrontofacomputorinsteadoftotheirface.org.uk

LOL :D

Greenstiles you are a racist, you have let your views be known over many threads on this matter, i would tell you this to your face quite happily

greenstiles":a7gzzn1s said:
I think the spanish inquistion still exists today doesn't it.....absorbed into the vatican....but they just changed thier name.....think it was on QI recently.......think their now known a 'social services' or something :!:

so now youre back to this, i remain proud of the job i do.

you really are such a petulant child.

Back