Marin Pine Mountain?

imppact

Retro Newbie
Unfortunately I don't have much detail about the machine pictured here. What I can tell you is that it was purchased in its current refurbished condition in September 2012. I believe this machine could be a 1990/91 Marin Pine Mountain, but if that information is wrong, I'm more than happy to be corrected. From what I recall being told by the original owner, the bike was purchased brand new in the USA whilst he was there on holiday with his family.

8439468589_04952e23de_z.jpg

My Marin Pine Mountain Bitsa

When purchased by me, the bike was fitted with drop bars. However I have Hemiplegia and as a direct consequence, I found it incredibly difficult to operate the right side Shimano STI lever. Fortunately my problems were solved by fitting the Moustache bars shown above. Using these handlebars enabled me to rotate the STI levers to a position where the stiff fingers of my right hand could reach them...I can now both brake and change gear fairly easily, something that was previously almost impossible. As an added bonus and unlike any straight MTB bars I've encountered, Moustache bars also allow the use of multiple hand positions.

I have no idea what model Marin that is, but it does look like a real practical bike, and very neatly done.

imppact":3rjxvure said:
Unfortunately I don't have much detail about the machine pictured here..
nice Marin :D but I think it is not a Pine Mountain

this is a Pine Mountain
marinpm48.jpg

you see the difference?

marinpm50.jpg

Just taking a punt here

the rear canti guide and the way it bows out looks very similar to a few treks I've had..more than likely way off

Defo a Marin with what looks like a '92 seatpost QR and '94 decals. A quick look at the number stamped under the BB will reveal all.

PopsTrippin":2gei5a9x said:
A quick look at the number stamped under the BB will reveal all.
Ok guys, thanks for all the replies so far. Before I bought it, the frame was returned to bare metal and powder coated. As a consequence, parts of the serial number are now a little difficult to read. Therefore the following details are my best guess...Stamped on BB shell - M(?) 22AA0068(?) - I have already looked at previous posts on Retrobike regarding Marin Serial numbers*. Sadly, doing so has simply added to my already confused state of mind! Please can someone explain exactly what information can be gleaned from a Marin serial number?

*Some of these previous posts seem to indicate that Marin model code 2 can, amongst other things, be used to identify a Pine Mountain.

Please see Page 3 - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37430
FluffyChicken":142oggw3 said:
The number codes where given for about '93/'94 iirc of this thread and worked from the top model down.
In 1991, there was not Team Issue* so Team Marin would = 1, Pine Mountain = 2, ... etc...
Unless anyone knows better, this post clearly supports my belief that the frame I own is a Pine Mountain.

Back