Show us what you did today, thread

gmac123":2x8qnnvb said:
start of next project today, stripped the decals of the cheapo GT Avalanche I picked up last year. Going to polish it up properly, apply new decals and get it going as a fully rigid SS

DSCN0611 by gmac123, on Flickr

SS and Single crank too, hardcore man :)

Spent the day in the ice, snow, rain and sleet of Rothiemurchus up past Glenmore towards the old Bothy.
Good ride out and wanted to make sure the Pugsleys gearing was sorted for varying terrain as its very flat up here, singlespeed gearing that is. The 36:18 worked great so it can stay like that for a while.
Singlespeed for me I'm afraid. I swapped bikes with my mate Boonie who has a very lightweight Scott. Nice bike, very light but I could barely ride it a: because of the gears, though I didnt change them, not even once as I wasnt too sure and b: he had flat straight bars, I have only used the H bars for the last few years and haven't touched a bike with a straight bar for a long, long time. Took me a while to work out why the bars felt a bit wrong, I kept thinking they were bent down or something, then I realised it was me. Not for me I'm afraid, I may put thumbies on the Pugsley one day but after today I'm in no rush. I'm not the quickest anyway and I do love my singlespeeds.
My mate Boonie loved the Pugsley and liked the singlespeed, though he has ridden my 1X1 before. I think he'll have a fat bike soon. One interesting observation, especially on the large rocky walking tracks, whether uphill or down, that whoever had the Pugsley was always way in front even with the singlespeed gearing.
The Monkeys both look good guys, both sound like a good day out and some great photos.
Heres my contribution.

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

very cool pics jamie and with the wee frame and those big tyres you look like your position is very "in" the bike, must feel very stable.

Hi mate
The bike is very stable.
This is a 16 inch frame and when I bought it last year it was the smallest Surly made. Now they do a 14, which is the same as my 1X1 and I've thought about getting one, but especially after today I definately dont 'need' it. This feels great and really comfortable as well as familiar but thats probably because its set up very similar to my 1X1, except to compensate for a slightly longer frame I have put a 70mm stem instead of 90mm so this along with the Pugs frame having the little gusset at the seat tube to lower the standover it feels very similar to the 1X1 with 29'er wheels in height. Seat, cockpit, length etc are the same as my 1X1, probably why it felt 'right' straightaway.

Its also maybe not as small as it appears when on its own.
IMG_3527.jpg

Jamie

clockworkgazz":3l8lsg7k said:
You going front bounce on the GT Gmac? What is the bike going to be set up for, trail centres?

yeah front bounce, although the RS sids have a bit of play in them. so I'll had a go at rebuilding them I think. having the suspension fork raises the front end a little, that combined with the steel frame makes it a bit more comfortable for longer days, so that's the thinking. we see if the proof's in the pudding over the early part of the year.

I think it might be the angles but it looks tiny in the first snow pic, but much bigger when you're stood next to it Jamie! :LOL:

Looking good though. Glad you are still loving it. Be interested in how you get on with it ss when you hit some full on beach riding. I find I am using granny on the moonie quite a lot. But maybe that's just me. :oops:

Hi fftc, I agree that when funds permit I will most likely put thumbies on it to really get the most from it. I can then use the 1x1 for everything else. General stuff on the weekend was fine singlespeed, it is obviously going to be tougher in certain sections than if I had gears but I've not riden dirt with gears for a couple of years now so its what I'm used to. I can certainly feel the extra weight and while I am well used to singlespeed, I was unsure how it would actually perform/feel once into the unknown terrain. To this end I was pleasantly suprised and really, really pleased, hence no rush to get gears as I really enjoyed it and more than likely worked harder without gears than with, but still had that huge fat grin all day. The one thing I found really fun was on fast flowing track. It just rolls round bends at crazy angles and really smoothly, the tyres soak everything up better than I imagined. Even on the really rocky trails up behind Glenmore I could ride the hills up and down them sitting down, it just soaked them up, no getting kicked in the backside or pinballing from one to the other, great fun. I do realise I may not have been as quick as if I had been on my 1x1, but probably more relaxed and comfortable. Horses for courses I suppose. I can only imagine what the moonlander must be like :D
I had a text from my mate who rode it yesterday and I think he's gone and bought a new Pugsley complete today :LOL:
And as for the size of it, lets just say, it is small......but I'm smaller.
My mate was laughing when we first set out on the road section as he said it looked very funny from the back, a great big wide tyre being turned by these two legs thinner than the tyre going up and down like pistons. :facepalm:

Jamie

jimihendrix":2c6205j6 said:
SS and Single crank too, hardcore man :)

:LOL: cheaky git :D going to pump up that left leg, just like my right arm :LOL:

I don't know why I do these things, cobbled it together last year in haste with a crank with dodgy threads. don't why I do these things, it's not the first time :oops:

Ended up with a bike ive been after for nearly ten years and its mine now
All original Rudge Whitworth .From the rod brakes to the dynamo front wheel,stumley archer rear 3 speed,lights,rack, the works :cool:

Its been sitting in my sisters cellar unloved and she's refused to give it to me quoting some Womens thing about luck leaving the house :? Which bit i ask ?,seeing as you added 50% 2 story extension.
Offered £140 and the argument went right out the window :LOL:
I think its 1948
Where are ye Velo,this is your cup of tea :D
I was going to build a too small for me Sun road bike[might still] but this way i have all the parts and its just a matter of renovating them with the trusty autosol and some fine wire wool.

Ill not pick it up for a week or two but when i do ill post pics up.

Latest posts

Back