New hardtail...Cotic BFe

Didn't get much more done today due to not having the gear outer needed or any chainring bolts for single ring set ups.

Got as far as filing the chain device down so it doesn't clash with the chain stays any more, fitted the bottom bracket, cleaned my new cranks and called it a day there.

Have ordered the bits I need, so hopefully they'll be here shortly and the bike will be good to go.

greenstiles":2n6zwidv said:
How tall are you ?

Six foot give or take a bit. It's being built up as a jumpy / silly bike. It's finished now so will get some pics up soon. I took it for a quick ride up and down the road and its longer than the previous two frames, so no more banging my knees on the bars when sprinting.

greenstiles":1dcj0sk4 said:
How tall are you ?

you mean with the XS frame? I did wonder that... just tall enough I guess!

Bike is looking nice, I really like the Cotic stuff.

Cheers chaps. I'll get some finished pics up today.

The grey does look good with it, I was thinking about changing the forks but they work well and suit the bike so I think I'll leave them. They could probably do with a service though.

The only question now is what to do with the brakes because they don't work all that well. As soon as they get wet, they honk like geese and haven't biting power whatsoever. It's almost impossible to lock the rear wheel up.

Aha! been looking forward to this! Glad to be of inspiration.:cool: :)

Looks ace. since I heard about this idea, I've been watching and finding smaller cotic frames the Gristone finish is also good but the bright and breezy retro alike blue is equally good if less stealth!
The XS came about for very small riders or tricksters and 4x racers. Robbie Rickman was riding a small, so he may have had something to do with teh XS coming about. The DJ and 4x market is fairly cornered by niche and big brand but this is a really cool and light alternative to the usual DJ stuff and ideal if it just for good old innocent play times and mini adventures! Did you weigh it by the way? estimated just over 5lbs...
Build looks good, I bought mine ever so short for me as a Medium, a large Soul bfe would be interesting to try, or a solaris for an all different trail ranger. Might try my 120 white bros on at some point and see if it sharpens it up on the less downhill and play time stuff.

Good stuff. :cool:

reanimation":k0nws3bc said:
Aha! been looking forward to this! Glad to be of inspiration.:cool: :)

Looks ace. since I heard about this idea, I've been watching and finding smaller cotic frames the Gristone finish is also good but the bright and breezy retro alike blue is equally good if less stealth!
The XS came about for very small riders or tricksters and 4x racers. Robbie Rickman was riding a small, so he may have had something to do with teh XS coming about. The DJ and 4x market is fairly cornered by niche and big brand but this is a really cool and light alternative to the usual DJ stuff and ideal if it just for good old innocent play times and mini adventures! Did you weigh it by the way? estimated just over 5lbs...
Build looks good, I bought mine ever so short for me as a Medium, a large Soul bfe would be interesting to try, or a solaris for an all different trail ranger. Might try my 120 white bros on at some point and see if it sharpens it up on the less downhill and play time stuff.

Good stuff. :cool:

Cheers - I'm well chuffed with it. To be honest with you, I didn't weigh it because I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I got home - I just wanted to get it built up. It is surprisingly light though. I love the blue, there was no other option as far as I was concerned.

It is a bit different to the usual DJ and 4X frames, which is cool. It feels reasonably long which is good, I think the BFe's are generally fairly long for their size. Looking forward to taking it for its first ride at some point, hoepfully this weekend if the weather isn't too bad (I've got to say that I've been out on the road bike a fair bit as it just seems a bit less hassle).

Pics may have to wait as its snowing quite heavily at the mo.

Fair enough I know what you mean about cobbling the mock up together, I've not got tired of building crazy bikes up, probably why my threads are not the super tidy photo audits like some other folks, more an excitable inquizative voyage of cobbling bikes together! Haha. Colour wise, there was no doubt with the blue, I was after a jolly retro bright colourful Mint Sauce Jo Burt cartoon look, but now I have this cant help getting dirty thoughts about a small Gristone stealth play bike for local stealthy missions... I blame you! :LOL: ok me then!

How long is the top tube, and how long is the seat tube? I'm sure there was conflicting ST measurements I found. And the TT measurements Effective TT.
Will have to get to a meet or ride near by... Giza go mister! :D

Yep I'm getting an unhealthy interest in roads and easy attainable riding grounds too.

Do it! Tiny bikes are ace fun.

I'll go and measure it in a bit when I do the recycling (and put the road bike away which is currently in the kitchen).

I've got to say I've quite enjoyed my first forays into road riding. It's a lot less faf than mountain biking, well wher I live anyway which really requires driving to get somewhere worth riding. I can just get my gear on, fill up the water bottle and be gone. I did a cheeky lunchtime ride today as I was working from home.

Only downside is its expensive starting out...I've even doned Lycra for the first time ever!

Anyway, I digress!

Back