Hobbs of Barbican Frame

ninarin

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I found this frame in my mother's loft, it's been in there for years, my Dad had forgotten he put it up there.

He said he was given it years ago and doesn't know anything about its history.

I have looked online for some information about Hobbs of Barbican and know a little about the company and what they did.

But I would really like to know more about this frame if anyone can help?

Thanks,

http://photos.readynas.com/Gardners_8184/jenin/a=7

Wow! It's going to need some restoration but imagine the results. Have a look on the classic lightweights website to try to identify it? Sorry not a Hobbs expert but the idea of restoring that is interesting.

I can help here, I have a few Hobbs (one bought new by family member in 1952), the model depicted is a Clubweight and is of welded or fillet brazed construction (i.e without lugs - lugless). It will be constructed from either Accles and Pollock Kromo tubing or Reynolds 531 - both are excellent tubesets.

It is a postwar frame, with the number I can date it, the frame is missing its seat tube collar - this enables the set post to be tightened in the frame. Hobbs did not build frames after 1953.

What is a very rare and superb thing is the brass and glass enamelled headbadge, few frames seem to have this (mine have, see image).

Hope this helps.

Roadking.

P.S Hobbs badge is not my"best"Hobbs - simply a spare one!

Attachments

• Headbadge (2).JPG
    Headbadge (2).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 688
Great info thanks chaps.

I will have to get a wire brush to the frame number on that drop out.

Another couple of things my dad remembers,

He remembers putting those forks on it so they are not the original and he was under the impression that they are not the right ones for it?

The crank set and brakes are obviously not the original.

My mother seemed keen to sell the frame if I can find a buyer.

Would it be worth restoring before selling, or just selling as it is?

What sort of cost would I be looking at for restoring the frame?

Thanks

My suggestion would be to sell as is.

A correct and authentic restoration including transfers would be at least £120 - £150 (possibly more).

Roadking.

P.S forks will have same number (stamped on steerer) as frame, so easy to confirm their provenance.

Back