the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

legrandefromage":n2gncmuw said:
I now have enough parts left to make an e-stay with drops...

Any comment I may have would seem inadequate in the light of this statement :shock:

Bit if an enforced rethink going on.

Having fitted the Mavic 26" to 700c adaptors and checked everything out with road wheels and tyres, I then bought some wheels from a forum member and some cx tyres from Planet-X and.....

The tyres are too tall and foul the adaptor on the rear and the fork crown :evil:

So, 26" wheels it is, but I think I will stick with the cx theme, as planned, especially as I already have some FSA SLK canti's and some SRAM Rival shifters.

I may have to mess around a little with the gearing, but for now, I'm pressing on. At least I will be once I find some more wheels, or bits to build some.

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

Snapped a couple pics of the Marinoni on my way to work today, I have a nice little ride through the woods each day now that we have moved. I finally have this build 90% where I want it (still some fiddling to do with the shifters plus a few little details) and I must say the ride exceeds my expectations for a winter bike. Long wheelbase is stable, slack angles put my weight over the rear tire for traction, and the curvy fork takes the sting out of a cold bumpy ride. Old Michelin Transalp tires provide great grip in the snow, but I also have a set of NOS studded (!) Tioga Farmer Johns for it (they were the inspiration for the build) and will throw those on for photos when I get around to doing a build thread for it. Not much going on lately with my bikes since we bought a house.

Thanks LGF! I am really enjoying it, and the puzzled looks it gets from passers-by, they seem to be expecting something entirely different.

Bonty, the bars are WTB/Specialized RM-2's from the late 1980's, they work great.

Well, as predicted, I am having some fun and games with my build.

I made the possibly foolish and completely reversible choice of using an external BB, for no other reason that I have some here. I then fitted a SRAM Rival cx crank and found I needed two spacers to prevent the inner chain ring from clashing with the chainstay. All good, thought I, until I finally got around to tightening up the cranks, at which point the penny finally dropped that with the spacers fitted the BB is effectively 73mm wide, and road cranks are 68mm :facepalm:

Now onto plan B, which may or may not work, depending on the spacing between chain rings of road vs mtb cranks. More later if it works (or not).

This is quite an entertaining build, in a beating your head against a brick wall kind of way.

Latest posts

Back