lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
tonight I lost a friend. I wasn't close, but he was a close friend to a close friend.

within metres of home a car pulled out on him. nothing else is known other than he hasn't survived.

this has hit harder than I can possibly explain. how can a parent/brother/friend begin to cope?

I know none of you know him, probably why I am writing this here.

absolutely heartbreaking.

stay safe

That is very sad, my hubby goes to work by bike and it scares me to death every day. I do not know how I'd cope if I lost him, so I don't know how this guys family is going to cope. I hope they find a way.

Alison

Where I live now, people drive like idiots and don't give way to anyone, you have to run across the roads here as motorists will not slow down in town while you cross the road, on a cycle they expect you to stop and get in a bush out of their way........we are not seen as road users by a lot of car drivers.........too many distracted drivers texting, in a rush, loud music in their cars....all in a rush.

Another waste of a life.

Sad news, and my condolences to you and his family and friends.

It is very difficult to cope, but somehow you do. My 6 year old sister was knocked off her bike and killed in 1986, when we lived in Holland. It was outside our house, and I was the only witness. I was 8. Apparently she was dead before she hit the floor. The weird thing was, there wasn't a mark on her, apart from a scratch on her cheek. I finally went to counseling last year, as depression was getting to me. It turns out I had PTSD, which explains a lot regarding my ability to form relationships etc in the past. Don't know how I managed to keep my wife and friends :s

I have lost friends and each one has affected me differently, some harder than others, and not necessarily because they were closer or more distant. The one that hit the hardest was a very good friend I had at school, but hadn't seen or heard from him since Uni. I found out last summer that he died in 2006 after coming off his motorbike. He had been in a coma for 9 months, and lost his leg and arm. I think it hit hardest because I could, if I had known, gone and said goodbye.

Every experience is different for each person, even if the same things happen to them. All you can do is be there for your friend if they need you.

dave, we knew him here at college, very very sad news this morning.our tech was with him all weekend at newcastle, hes absolutely destrout :( as are we, quiet workshop today.

tim, good to hear you have got some help.

Chris, I never thought you might know him. sorry to bring it up here mate.

no worries dude, really brings home to everyone the dangers on the road, all it takes is someone to pull out and ...well, we know the rest.

My thoughts are with you, your friend and their affected friends and families, horrible thing to have happened!!

I drive a lot, i drive for my job and im as mad about cars as i am my bikes, i spend pretty much all day every day on the road, and it infuriates me from both sides as a rider and a driver at some of the things i see out there, but it seems the main is that car drivers simply do not have the time/thought/patience for anyone or anything else on the road, they dont even look for other cars so the average rider has no chance!

As is the same with the idiotic riders that dont stop at red lights or wont give way, and then kick off like stink because they nearly get knocked off!

(not trying to say your friend was in the wrong, just having a little rant as it really gets me when i hear about riders being killed due to stupidity/ignorance, ive been on the receiving end of the fateful words 'sorry mate, i didnt see you' myself, thankfully i didnt come off as i managed to bunny hop up the kerb and onto the path, and i regard myself as having a good awareness of myself and other road users due to being both a driver and rider so know to look out for the other party when im doing either)

Rant over, and back on topic, my sympathies to all affected!

Back