1994 Amp Research Laguna Beach.CA B3

Mongooseboy

Retro Guru
Hello,

I am lucky that the broken derialleur hanger is weld back on the seat stay,so that i can build the amp :D

Her some photo`s from the broken derialleur hanger.

p4pb8762695.jpg

p4pb8762707.jpg

And her the result derialleur hanger weld back on the seat stay.

p4pb9167106.jpg

p4pb9167090.jpg

The Amp will be black and silver when it is finshed with the build.
The bike parts are;

Controltech 1" quill stem (black)
Controltech seat post 31.6 (black)
Amp fork (black)
Wheels 26" mtb Spinergy RevXRoks (Dark/carbon) or Spin three spoke
Tire`s IRC mythosxc 1.95 skinwall red/black
Crankset Cook Bros.-Racing (black)
Onza pedals (black)
Onza Ules black grips
Canti`s maybe Grafton or Paul
FD and RD derialleur,also a ?
STi 8 speed ?

I will keep up the build her,but first looking for nice bike parts,but i have enough time for it.

Mark

Her i have one other photo taken from the weld derialleur hanger.

p4pb9174528.jpg

And why not save to ride with this frame :roll:
The person how weld it for me,had done a great job and it is know beter and stronger than before.

I'm afraid when I look at that picture. I'd really like to see more detailed close ups with no flash.

Is there weld down the sides to the axle? I would have replaced the dropout.

Nice Frame

You could still get the seat stay piece from Amp a couple of years ago, I had one sent for mine. Brion Le Belle is who you need at Amp for spares etc.

trail_head":12xt5lkp said:
I'm afraid when I look at that picture. I'd really like to see more detailed close ups with no flash.

Is there weld down the sides to the axle? I would have replaced the dropout.

Her some photos taken close up,from the weld derialleurhanger.

p4pb9181855.jpg

p4pb9181850.jpg

If this frame is 6061 aluminium like my Mongoose Amplifier 2 as I suspect then I would be very careful with this weld as 6061 looses its strength when welded and must be re-heat treated. Found this on wiki:

6061 is highly weldable, for example using tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) or metal inert gas welding (MIG). Typically, after welding, the properties near the weld are those of 6061-O, a loss of strength of around 80%. The material can be re-heat-treated to restore -T4 or -T6 temper for the whole piece. After welding, the material can naturally age and restore some of its strength as well.

If its 7005 then it should be ok.

hmmmm., you really think that is going to hold? from what I can see of the repair, the weld is along the top leaving the hanger still separated from the drop out by the crack.

The hanger/drop out looks to be one thick chunk of aluminium so no fancy bending required - I think you would be better of remaking the drop out and hanger then welding it onto the stay.

While I think the repair will probably hold if it were mine I would take that to a machine shop and have them cnc you a new one and then just weld it back on like the original. They could very easily reproduce that piece even with the Amp logo on it. Not sure how much that would cost though.

Back