the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Just bear in mind road shifters have different cable pull for the front mech - mating road STI and mountain mechs can be a pain.

Bar-end shifters are of course ok as are the older 'click click click' multi step Campagnolo Ergo

Hmmmm...scratches head with that perplexed / confused look on his face, and wanders off to do a lot more research.

I've just finished a '92 Dawes The Edge. It's in complete road spec, cos i'm a roadie. It's got late 90's RX100 road STI levers, an XT M739 rear mech and an Alivio front mech i got from Chain Reaction for about a fiver. Took me a while to get it all set up(had some chainline issues), but it's spot-on now. As Le Grande Fromage says, can be a pain, but is possible.

Regards

Marge

Attachments

• PicsArt_1359292400646.jpg
    PicsArt_1359292400646.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 648
I watched the assembly of your bike Margie and thought it was one of the most imaginative builds I have seen.

The confusion I have going on is whether to build an mtb with drops, or lean more towards an mtb frame turned cx.

I like to build all my bikes as a whole, so a mish mash of road and mtb parts in the drive train sort of grates on my sensibilities, although I have no problem with mixing makes; so Campag shifters allied to Shimano mech and cassette with maybe a bit of Suntour thrown in for good measure.

I've read this thread from end to end and seen a few bikes I really like the look of, so I just need to do a bit more work, figuring out what will and will not work before I pick up the spanners.

Glad you like it. In a way, it's a parts bin special. I'd been collecting components for a few years, and wondered if I'd ever have enough to build an entire bike. That it came out as well as it did sometimes amazes me.

I have plans for it, when funds allow. It really needs road cranks, with a 53/39. This will necessitate a road rear mech; would love to find an RX100 to match the levers. Finally, I've always wanted a CX bike but couldn't afford the £600-700 you'd need for a bottom end bike. Fortunately, Schwalbe make a CX tyre in 26". Should be just the job.

Good luck with your build, whatever you decide to do.

Marge

Just been in discussion with my partner in crime (my son) and 'we' have decided on a full CX build.

€53 just spent on some Mavic 26" to 700c adaptors, and so it begins... next purchase 1" ahead headset and off to search all the usual places for the rest.

I look forwards to seeing how The Edge progresses.

Don't forget to put a wanted ad in the road section, you never know what folks have in their sheds.

Neil - if you don't mind me asking where did you get the Mavic adaptors? And are they adaptors to use cantilevers or calipers?

Really pleased to see this thread has reached 20 pages! :cool:

I found them on a German web site. I have checked the photo with others on the web to make sure they are the right item.

I'll be using them with canti's; I'm not too sure about caliper's, as the metal looks less beefy at the top.

Linky: http://www.bike24.com/p23604.html

Back