Can I remove these bolts?

ZeeSaffa

Dirt Disciple
Just wondering if it's possible to remove these old caliper mount bolts on the RS Judy C forks (as pictured) and also on seat stay?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I can't budge them and don't want to make them look even worse.

Thanks!

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 359
Yes, someone will be along shortly to recommend some blanking screws to full the holes too. Unless you are gonna strip and paint the frame/forks then you can carefully junior and file the bosses off.

i think you can remove them, they should have flats to get a spanner on there.

Assuming you can remove them then try soaking them in Plusgas, WD40 or penetrating oil, as they've probably been bolted in there since the forks were made and will probably put up a real fight when trying to remove them.

I've just removed the brake bosses form a set of forks, so I'd also be interested in reccomendations for blanking bolts/plugs, especially ones which incorporate a disc hose guide.

Edit: just looked on Evilbay and Mowa and KCNC do blanking bolts for the holes left by the bosses, also some nice Hope bolts which double as disc hose guide too :)

if they have flats on them they will come out, may be a struggle as noted above though. If so, give them a soak in Plusgas and turn them carefully in a bench vice

Not completely off topic but some forks [my ' Zocci Bombers for example] need these to hold the crown to the lowers so have a good look first I would say.
Little Blankers from CRC should fit the hole left by the studs.

you can remove them. best method I found is to put on a good quality spanner, cheap ones will knacker the flats then whack the spanner with a mallet - the impulse should start the undoing porcess.

they can be extremely difficult to undo.

02gf74":1vi56eya said:
you can remove them. best method I found is to put on a good quality spanner, cheap ones will knacker the flats then whack the spanner with a mallet - the impulse should start the undoing porcess.

they can be extremely difficult to undo.

Very true.

If you have access to a vice and don't intend on keeping the bosses. Stick 'em in the vice and use forks as leverage.

Buy blanking plugs to fill holes.

Given the age and amount of crud they would have had...I'd give them a few days worth of soaking with plusgas/gt 85/wd etc before trying to take them out

Back