1992 Ibis Mojo

timoshenko

Old School Hero
So, I got bitten by the Retrobike bug a couple of years ago. In that time, I've been searching out potential projects thru craigslist, feebay, etc. I tend to look for steel or titanium, and I'm also a fan of Ibis. It was their modern Carbon Mojo that got me back into mountain biking. I started off focusing only on Ibis but other potential projects came along that I couldn't resist, Brodie, WTB, Salsa, etc. My intent is to post each project as I work thru them.

First up is a 1992 Ibis Mojo.

I found this one on listed on Craigslist in Long Island, New York. (I'm located in Toronto, Canada) The photos on Craigslist postings are usually aren't of sufficent resolution to properly assess condition, so I'll ask the poster to email me higher resolution photos. He sent me these.

ibismojobeforephoto01.jpg

ibismojobeforephoto02.jpg

ibismojobeforephoto03.jpg

It had a mix of original and various parts added on over the years, likely as the originals needed replacement. My primary interest in the frame, which was my size and doesn't look like it's been abused. The paint is in rough shape, which is ok because it makes the decision to repaint easier.

There were a couple of items in the photos which caught my attention.
The Mojo first shows up in the 1992 Ibis catalog. The catalog photos shows the infamous hand-job rear brake cable holder. A close up of the last photo shows a one-armed holder but with no hand. The second is the Salsa stem. In the 1992 catalog, photos show the integrated binder-style stem being used. The Salsa stem was used on earlier models like the SS. All the other frame details are inline with an Ibis from this period. So this appears to date the frame to early in the production of the Mojo. Perhaps early 1992?

Close-up of rear bracke cable hanger
ibismojobeforephoto04.jpg

Excerpt from 1992 Catalog
1992catalogexcerpt.jpg

The asking price was very resonable, so I took a quick trip to Long Island and picked it up the following weekend.
My plan for the build is to keep it period-correct with using mostly M900 XTR with a rigid fork. My priority is to built it up to a rideable state and then start to make final decisions about the built.

- Crispin

Gorgeous stuff, well worth the trip to New York, even if you're in Canada :D. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article :D.

Polished Ibis titanium handlebar, technically not period correct as it was released a year or two later, but it will compliment more polished Ibis Ti.

ibismojotihandlebar.jpg

I've been making some progress on this build. I have a few more adjustments to the component spec and then eventually start to think about repainting the frame.

The build spec so far:

Frame: 1992 Ibis Mojo, size Medium, colour Bold Gold

Fork: Syncros Powerlite, 1"

Headset: WTB\King GreaseGuard
Stem: Ibis Polished Ti Quill
Handlebar: Ibis Polished Ti
Grips: WTB Original

Brakes: XTR (likely change to Avid Tri-Align)

Shifters\Brake Levers: XTR
Front Derailleur: XTR
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Cassette: XTR
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Syncros Revolution (changing to Cook Bros Racing)
Bottom Bracket: XT (changing to Syncros Ti)

Hub Skewers: Ritchey (changing to XTR)
Rims: Mavic 231
Hubs: XTR

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore, 29.4mm
Seatpost Binder: DKG

Weight:23lbs without tires in photos below

e70c18be-2302-46ff-8644-bbcae2dbde37.jpg

mojoinprogressimage02.jpg

cad8cee8-179c-4120-8a84-d36269c8b27c.jpg

dc7504bb-735e-402f-a207-ea0ef3d959c1.jpg

That is really nice, love ibis frames and your component choices are spot on :cool: good job sir!!

yo-Nate-y":2omgklqc said:
Great so far! I like the color. A ti Syncros post would look great if you can find one.

Thanks, agreed a Syncros Ti post would be an excellent finishing touch but as you suggest they rarely come up in 29.4 and when they do there's a lot of competition.

Back