SPDs... Am I really missing out?

I cant ride without them :LOL: I rode BITD with toe clips and made the evolutionary move to SPD many many years ago, There is nothing worse for me than not being clicked in any more, I need to be clicked in for all stuff esp the techincal , It becomes second nature to un clip with out thinking, Flats scare me and my shins ;)

On a serius note check that your SPD pedals and cleats are well maintained, cleaned and lubed, one of my friends had an off on a cycle path and broke his tib and fib in one leg, later I found that his SPD pedals were so rusted the springs were not working as they should, he said they were tight to clip into, This was 3 years ago and he is now back riding with SPD's......

I can't run them as I have very knackered knees.

So I use Time ATAC pedals instead as I think they are easier to get in and out of but give you a lot more movement around the pedal body. They are however heavy buggers unless you spend money to get the carbon ones. But in saying that they are only heavy compared to other clipless systems. And lighter than flats apart from silly money ones. The real advantage of the though is that they just don't get clogged with mud like SPD pedals can.

I use them on MTB and road bikes as well. A useful thing is that for some reason you can normally pick them up cheap on Ebay. I've got 2 pairs on the go and my total outlay is less than £30.

And I only fall over because of them going uphill on super slow techie stuff for some reason. :(

Something to look out for though, and I seem to suffer badly from this. is that I habitually unclip with my left foot first so when I'm stopped I will only have that foot free to balance on. So when I do have to unclip in a hurry my right foot can be a bit tight in comparison.

Oh, and Mavic shoes, very comfy and you can walk pretty normally in them.

Agree with Tazio regarding the Time ATAC's. Annoyingly my I have both Shimano SPD's and Time pedals on my most common riders, however I just picked up another set of ATAC XS's this morning (miss priced on a display at my local cycle surgery...it would of been rude not too.)

You see nothing but great reviews on the Time range.

Gravy Monster":3utvcv79 said:
It becomes second nature to un clip with out thinking

I cycled to work in the snow a few weeks back. I cycled my slick tyred fixie with SPD's, it took me over 2 hours and tested my bike handling skills to the max. When I went to bed that night and started to fall asleep I was back on the bike catching those constant front wheel slides and my right foot kept twitching as it would to unclip from the SPD :LOL: . Second nature!!!

Right, pedals are sorted. Ordered some shimano m520s complete with cleats.

Looking at shoes... Is it just shimano ones that come up a bit small?? I'm going to pop to my LBS tomorrow and ask for a bit of advice and see if they have anything suitable.

ChrisR":1a2ivodd said:

Looking at shoes... Is it just shimano ones that come up a bit small?? I'm going to pop to my LBS tomorrow and ask for a bit of advice and see if they have anything suitable.

I think most makes are a bit smell fitting, but they need to be tight of course. The Mavics I wear are identical sizingwise I found to Adidas trainers.

ChrisR":vomuc6ur said:

When I was trying on road shoes, I found the Shimano ones to be quite wide so I couldn't get them secure enough around my feet. The Specialized Body Geometry ones fitted a treat.

I'd definitely go and try a few brands on. They need to fit well, so you're feet don't move around on the up stroke.

Oh and I've just remembered if you can afford shoes with a ratchet top strap instead of all the straps being velcro it is great.

Doubt I'll be looking at ratchet strap tips currently.

Hoping to find something around the £50-60 pound mark (all suggestions welcome).

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=25040

If your a size 40 (or 39) try these at a bargain price - I paid double that for mine. I find specialized bg (body geometry) shoes by far the most comfortable Ive tried. Ideally try them in a shop first if you can.

Will need warm socks or overshoes on really cold days though - they have a lot of mesh on top for summer breathability.

Back