Ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinky

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I would like to state that this thread is in defence of me being accused as a racist and an idiot, by one charlieboy28. I would also like to state that I am not trying bring this certain subject up again, but it is, I feel, in breech of a freedom of speech which I'm sure most of us celebrate, when members try to coerce the thread into being locked, but only once they have, of course, voiced their opinion.

I feel it is my right to defend myself in whichever arena in which I am being attacked. This is my right of reply.

My first statement in the thread titled Black Skin is merely in agreement that there may be some truth in the Op's questioning. Personally, I have to say, it maybe an unfortunate title. Maybe Young Skin, or the likes would have been more suitable.

Secondly, I gave my opinion of what choice of words may or may not be deemed as racist. As someone who has, on numerous occasions been at wrong end or target of racism, I thought my opinion would be from a fair perspective on the matter, and thus would be valued. This is merely my opinion and I do not profess that to be the last word. If I express my opinion I welcome it be challenged and hear reason to maybe even change my opinion. It would be ignorant and self centred of me to think otherwise.

Calling others morons in my post was certainly wrong of me, and I do, sincerely apologise for this.

Charlieboy28's comment
It the unquestioned motivation for this thread, the promoting of "otherness" which i find so offensive , the oooh lets have a cosy chat amongst white folk, approach that is used.

I promote that everyone on the planet have individualism as the one thing that unites us. That includes individual opinion.

And you, mr chalieboy, are not, by any means the authority on the matter.

Also, I have not once assumed that members of this forum are white, but you just have.
Who's the racist now?

For some reason that thread hit a nerve with charlie boy, did he overeact , accuse people wrongly of being racist, see it in a way it never was ? Course he did

But if we worry about what's written on a screen too much then we lose perspective

I am reminded of a famous afro caribbean chap called bobby mcferrin....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Tbh, there was very little in that thread that caused offence apart from Charlieboys sanctimonious bleatings (and being myself self righteous and sanctimonious I know it when I see it). Although I did laugh at the 'afro is a hairstyle' bit.
There have been a couple of threads needlessly locked on here recently, just when they were starting to get good. I think we are all grown up enough to know real racial or religious or whatever abuse/intolerance when we see it, and all that locking these threads has done is stifle discussion.
If anything it just shows how overtly sensitive to anything that could be seen as criticism of another racial group, be it white , black, red or blue that we have become and without hesitation the racism card is played.........

threads seem to be getting locked all to frequently latley, mods seem to want to nip in it the bud befour it gets out of hand and somone always gets cut short
its a shame a group of like minded people cant have normal conversation without mods stepping in.

i guess its not suprising when cycling is a middle class white boy sport :LOL:

Middle class?

dammit, where is this trailer trash boy sposed to go now?

sylus":207uujmk said:

Sunnyvale?

Sunnyvale%20Trailer%20Park.jpg

FMJ":ysiiuz6z said:
sylus":ysiiuz6z said:

Sunnyvale?

Sunnyvale%20Trailer%20Park.jpg

dont know anything about sunnyvale,but i think i have dated the girl on the left

and i really think the OP should just leave the subject alone

Sinky the Op has begin and commented heavily on threads concerning asylum seekers, has begun threads on chinese people and now black people, to name but a few of the contentious issues he chooses to post upon.

"It the unquestioned motivation for this thread, the promoting of "otherness" which i find so offensive , the oooh lets have a cosy chat amongst white folk, approach that is used." this was and is aimed solely at the OP

A quick google will tell you that the term you wish to justify is offensive, it offends black people and it offends me. Just because it doesnt offend all black people does not make it acceptable. just because you are black and you have experienced racism and you choose to use it, still does not make non offensive/

the fact that you have experienced racism, in my mind should make you more aware of how it hurts, and that you would not wish that on to others or to perpetuate it.

I refer you to my previous comment about the one time acceptable N word,

The old "black don't crack" crap is from exactly the same book as all black men have big knobs, and all black people have rhythm, the origins of which lie in slavery.

You can not attribute characteristics to whole groups of people, its the very definition of racism.

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

have a look also at positive racism,

"Positive racism is like a chocolate covered maggot........Racism occurs when a person attributes another person’s actions or abilities to his or her race, right? It’s a simple definition, but a relatively comprehensive one. Positive racism, then, happens when a person attributes socially acceptable or desirable actions or abilities to race. Despite any good intentions, positive racism is never actually beneficial to the parties involved. It entails the propagation of racial stereotypes"

Would me finding pictures of white people who have aged very well or black people who have aged very badly show up this argument up for what it is? Its racism, disguised perhaps, poorly in my opinion but still out and out racism,

As has been said, unfortunately mountain biking is very much a white middle class pursuit, there are black members on here, i know because i have met them, but the vast majority are white.

as you said, you started it with morons, i think idiot is a fair retort.

and i have never said you are a racist, i have said you continue to attempt to justify an offensive term

Offence is in the eye of the beholder. To say that any term or word is by definition 'offensive' suggests that everyone is or should be offended by it. Which isn't too far away from assigning a particular characteristic to a group of people, the very thing you're railing against.

It was noted that the n word was 'once' deemed acceptable. The n word is still deemed acceptable in certain circles e.g. music. And the courts- a white guy was recently cleared for calling a black friend it as a term of endearment. Unlike on here our justice system obviously appreciates context.

This forum is missing some rationality.

Edit: As I type there's a guy walking down my street loudly singing '**** the pope' repeatedly. Should I be offended? I'm not sure. I think I maybe should be. But I'm not. Others no doubt would be. Am I in the wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back