verdict on 8 speed c record ergos? or new 10/11 speed

now finally good news. I'm able to get my hands on campy rear mechs. My choices...

campy athena from 1994 for 20 pounds
or brand new campy xenon 9spd for 30.

which one should I choose? I'd opt for the first. Not just because I'd change an old ultegra rear mech, and as I know, ultegra is roughly at the same level as athena (ofc the latter is better... it's campy, after all..) but also because of the fear that perhaps brand new 9spd campy stuff is NOT COMPATIBLE with old cca. 94-95 levers.

So, your advice is also to opt for the athena? :)

Look at the CTC Shimergo link. You need an old-style Campagnolo derailleur with the B-screw near to the frame pivot. So Athena, between those two.

I'm running Mirage 8 speed shifters, with Daytona rear derailleur, and Shimano 7-speed HG block. Works fine.

bikenut2010":3tswqea0 said:
Nothing wrong with mirage they work great! but why buy campy shifters if you run Shimano? :shock:

Well, Campag ones run for thousands of miles without needing adjusting for a start - the longer cable pull per click makes them less tetchy, if also more clunky.
They are also rebuildable, unlike Shimano for which the only repair is WD40 or a dustbin. My 1994 Records failed last year - total cost of repair was two springs cost £1.01 each.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Campag patriot and have 8 Shimano-equipped bikes in the family fleet. If only their shifters were as bombproof as their thumbies and rear hubs...
The later (2005 on) Campag stuff alas looks too fragile and fiddly.

hamster":3dens1oa said:
aye, feels it too.
The question for the new bike is Sram red or last years dura ace (ie not 11 speed)?

I can't go 8spd... My rear hub (FH-1051) can only take seven. Shimano. The whole bike was with shimano components, now it has campy brifters and RD-s. Works perfectly, like a charm. And my brifters were practically NOS, they're banging across seven speed shimano cassettes without glitches, and they were cheaper than old shimano brifters.

And I'M yet to see any of those old RX-100 or RSX STI levers to be in good condition. These Mirage shifters were practically newly built with new levers, hoods, perfect working.

Next step will be to put some dual pivot caliper brakes on the bike. Even though it can sprint uphill easily, accelerates and turns well, with agility, it lacks braking power. Yes, I've changed the cables -housing and the brake pads as well, they still like shit.

The old weinmann vanquier calipers have much more capability :)

hamster":rkec7qao said:
bikenut2010":rkec7qao said:
Nothing wrong with mirage they work great! but why buy campy shifters if you run Shimano? :shock:

Well, Campag ones run for thousands of miles without needing adjusting for a start - the longer cable pull per click makes them less tetchy, if also more clunky.
They are also rebuildable, unlike Shimano for which the only repair is WD40 or a dustbin. My 1994 Records failed last year - total cost of repair was two springs cost £1.01 each.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Campag patriot and have 8 Shimano-equipped bikes in the family fleet. If only their shifters were as bombproof as their thumbies and rear hubs...

STIs seem more fragile - although a lot of CX bikes run them I have seen a fair few written off in sometimes quite low-key race crashes, whereas my own Campag Centaur alloy Ergos have survived a few serious prangs over the last 5 seasons including an argument with a tree at Hemel Hempstead last October and a badly-judged descent at Luton (I took somewhat longer to get over that one than the bike did) a month later.

David

Back