Hello! Can you help me get rolling?

RoaringFraser

Retro Newbie
New boy here.

My recently acquired Raleigh Stratos (impressed?) has a Huret Sachs rear derailleur, single chainwheel front, and the chain tensioning spring in the derailleur is broken.

I'm old and a bit fat. My MTB,was rather hard work over 40 miles in a day, and I got the road bike so that I could get back on the road, but a 5 speed single clanger is also going to be hard work.

My budget is approximately zero (OAP), any advice on what I should replace it with? I see some secondhand ones on eBay, but I just know that I will need some low low ratios too.

Or do you folks think it sacrilege to modify such a classic?

Greetings

Welcome to the forum

Changing the gearing on a bike is not difficult but you will need a budget larger than zero. The derailleur will most likely need to be replaced (rather than trying to source a spring) and you will need a new chain to accommodate the wide ratio freewheel (or cassette depending on how old you bike is.) And you will need the tools (freewheel remover, chain whip, chain breaker etc.) or pay someone to do the work.

Sacrilege? I think making alterations that can not be reversed might bring some words of scorn but changing gearing is safe.

Steven

HI Fraser,

Welcome to RB!!!

You should have a look at the Components for Sale section - i am sure you could pick up something suitable there for not too much outlay. If you decide what you would like then have a look at what is available. I am a newbie to eBay and i have lost too many auctions - last second outbids - recently. Here is better, if you can keep an eye on recent posts - the prices are there - no bids to worry about and, so far, i have had no problems with the RB sellers - some are excellent and can even wait for payment (you know who you are - thanks!!).

Welcome to a fantastic forum!!!!

Back